Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to increase performance of Tez in hive

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I cluster 2 nodes with each node 16GB Ram and 2-CPU Cores and yarn memory has been configured 8GB as recommended. I have set those configuration in tez as below mentioned link;

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/22419/hive-on-tez-performance-tuning-determining-reducer....

I don't know how to configure as my hardware configuration. I'm over process data around 6million record. It takes much time. Please tell me how do i configure to execute as faster/increase performance.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Varun

5 REPLIES 5

@Varun R

Try to use ORC file format and Cost based Optimizer.

Details can be found here:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.3/bk_hive-performance-tuning/content/ch_hive_...

Thanks

@Varun R

Below are few parameters which one would use in general. Ofcourse based on the logics other configuration settings cab also be modified.

Enable Compression in Hive

hive.exec.compress.output TRUE

hive.exec.compress.intermediate TRUE

hive.auto.convert.join

hive.auto.convert.join.noconditionaltask

hive.optimize.bucketmapjoin

avoid order by and try to use sort by

set hive.vectorized.execution.enabled = true;

set hive.vectorized.execution.reduce.enabled = true;

set hive.vectorized.execution.reduce.groupby.enabled = true;

hive.compute.query.using.stats

hive.stats.fetch.partition.stats

hive.stats.fetch.column.stats

hive.stats.autogather

ANALYZE TABLE employee COMPUTE STATISTICS FOR COLUMNS;

ANALYZE TABLE employee COMPUTE STATISTICS FOR COLUMNS id, dept;

Super Collaborator

@Varun R

Optimization varies in every case. Depends on incoming data, file size.

In general please use these setting for fine tuning

1. Enable predicate pushdown (PPD) to filter at the storage layer:

SET hive.optimize.ppd=true;

SET hive.optimize.ppd.storage=true

2. Vectorized query execution processes data in batches of 1024 rows instead of one by one:

SET hive.vectorized.execution.enabled=true;

SET hive.vectorized.execution.reduce.enabled=true;

3. Enable the Cost Based Optimizer (COB) for efficient query execution based on cost and fetch table statistics:

SET hive.cbo.enable=true;

SET hive.compute.query.using.stats=true;

SET hive.stats.fetch.column.stats=true;

SET hive.stats.fetch.partition.stats=true;

Partition and column statistics from fetched from the metastsore. Use this with caution. If you have too many partitions and/or columns, this could degrade performance.

4. Control reducer output:

SET hive.tez.auto.reducer.parallelism=true;

Partition table based on necessary column, also bucket the tables(wisely identify the column)

Also depends on how you want to tune your Query, based on Explain Plan. Please check number of Mappers and Reducers spawnned.

Super Collaborator

@Varun

Please see the below to control number of Reducers

setting MAPRED.REDUCE.TASKS = -1 -- this property lets Tez determine the no of reducers to initiate

hive.tez.auto.reducer.parallelism = true; --this property is enabled to TRUE, hive will estimate data sizes and set parallelism estimates. Tez will sample source vertices, output sizes and adjust the estimates at run time this is the 1st property that determines initial number of reducers once Tez starts the query

hive.tex.min.partition.factor =0.25;-- when auto parallelism enable, this property will be used to put a lower limit to number of reducers that Tez specified

1. hive.tez.max.partition.factor - 2.0; -- this property specifies,over-partition data in shuffle edges

2.hive.exec.reducers.max by default is 1099 --max number of reducers

3.hive.exec.reducers.bytes.per.reducer = 256 MB; which is 268435456 bytes

Now to calculate the number of reducers we will need to put altogether, along with this formula also from Explain plan

we will need to get the size of output, lets assume 200,000 bytes

Max(1, Min(hive.exec.reducers.max [1099], Reducer Stage estimate/hive.exec.reducers.bytes.per.reducer)) x hive.tez.max.partition.factor [2]

Max(1, Min(1099, 200000/268435456)) x 2

=MAX(1,min(1099,0.00074505805)) X 2

=MAX(1,0.0007) X 2 = 1 X 2 = 2 Tez will spawn 2 Reducers.

In this case we can legally make Tez initiate higher number of reducers by modifying value of hive.exec.reducers.bytes.per.reducer by setting it to 20 KB

=Max(1,min(1099,20000/10432)) X 2

=Max(1,19) X 2 = 38

Please note higher number of reducers doesn't mean better performance