Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to install Enterprise Licensed Cloudera with docker

New Contributor

Hi ,

I have a job from my client to install Cloudera Enterprise version, but they want me to install with docker. How could I verify the license key with docker installation (I have the license key)?
And which is the best for me, install on my local machine or install on Cloud VPS?

Thanks
This is my Cloudera version:
cloudera.png

1 REPLY 1

Hi @ahlicoding 

It would help members of the community in offering possible answers to your questions if you were a little more specific about what you or your client mean by "install with docker". That can mean more than one thing.

I'm doing a bit of guessing here, but one thing that could mean is deploying into a set of docker containers, where each container takes the place of what would ordinarily be a "bare metal" node in the target cluster. Or you could be referring to the common practice of collecting all the software dependencies necessary for completing the installation (e.g., a specific version of Python and version-appropriate libraries) into a Docker Container so that the process is faster and more convenient.

The redacted screen shot you've included above indicates that you're licensed for Ambari 2.7.4 and HDP 3.x (when most community members refer to Cloudera Enterprise, they usually mean the legacy releases of CDH and CDH is not interchangeable with HDP.).

I should mention that the current Enterprise Data Platform offered by Cloudera is Cloudera Data Platform (CDP), which in it's on-premises "form factor" is now called CDP Private Cloud. CDP superseded CDH as of 2021, which is important if your client is expecting support going forward.

You can read about how to access the Ambari 2.7.4.x binaries from Cloudera's private repositories as well as obtaining authentication credentials for customers and partners (implicitly verifying your license key) here: Accessing Ambari Repositories.

As far as your last question:

And which is the best for me, install on my local machine or install on Cloud VPS?

Assuming that you are talking about where to install Docker and not where to install Ambari, I think the answer depends on what OS your local machine is running and what the underlying hardware is vs what is available on your virtual private servers in the cloud.

One example of a situation where I would avoid installing Docker on my local machine and use the cloud instead is if I only had a Mac with an Apple silicon CPU. Docker has made great strides in supporting ARM architectures recently, but there's still a lot of hoops to jump through to use Docker on Apple silicon machines and some very common operations flat out still don't work. In the cloud you can spin up Linux-based instances running on commodity hardware and have the flexibility to use them as both a host for Docker and for the target nodes in the cluster you are building/installing on.

We welcome your questions, and this thread will remain visible here in the hope that some other member of the Cloudera Community will reply with more specific assistance.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.