Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to restrict user to access to specific tables/databases in hive(Hortonworks)

Highlighted

How to restrict user to access to specific tables/databases in hive(Hortonworks)

New Contributor

I have created a user in hadoop cluster. Now i want to give access to particular set of database/tables in Hive. 

Is it possible to restrict a user to view particular set of tables/databases.

If possible how can i give access?

Thanks,

Kotesh

1 REPLY 1

Re: How to restrict user to access to specific tables/databases in hive(Hortonworks)

Mentor

@kotesh_banoth 

Yes, that's possible with Apache Ranger is a centralized security framework for enabling, monitoring, and managing the comprehensive data security across the Hadoop platform. It provides a mechanism to manage the security from a single pane for various components you can control fine-grained access to various components of the Hadoop ecosystem.
Once the Ranger plugins have been enabled then you can control the various aspects for these HDP services the list below is not exhaustive between version 2.6.x and 3.1.x
Note: the Kafka plugin can only be enabled after kerberizing your cluster !!

• HDFS
  • Hive
  • HBase
  • Kafka
  • Knox
  • YARN
  • Storm

Enable Ranger Hive plugin

The first step is to install Ranger in my case it's already done and the plugins enabled on HDP-2.6.5.0 but the screenshot shows you where to toggle to enable so you delegate the authorization to Ranger

This link  ranger-hive authorization walks you through that procedure

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here