Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to set up secure HDP production cluster on Azure?

Expert Contributor

Hi All,

We are looking forward to setup HDP on Azure to start with 18 node cluster. Mostly with A-8 to A-11 type instances.

I am looking for setup instruction and best practices.

I went through the following documents but I see they are a bit out dated and most of them tackle with sandbox.

Azure Sandbox - Hortonworks Blog

Deploying Sandbox in Azure - Hortonworks Tutorial

Azure Using Cloud break (We are not looking forward to use CloudBreak and Ambari Blue Prints)

Deploying Hortonworks HDP on Microsoft Azure Video

Step by step guide - TechNet blog

Few specific questions :

- Should we place each of the node in a separate cloud service or all nodes in a single cloud service?

- Should we setup HDP on all the nodes (18 nodes) and setup a Windows Server with Active directory for name resolution as show in the TechNet blog? Can we not have HDP cluster running without jumpbox?

- Do we need to build a separate VPC?

- Is there any documentation in place which talks about step by step setting up?

- What are the best practices around?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
11 REPLIES 11

Rising Star

Contributor

@Smart Solutions

If you use "Resource Manager" for your deployment model, each vm should get a separated cloud service. I recommend that you use a sepateted cloud service for each node.

Here are some informations about the deployment methods: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/resource-manager-deployment-model/

We also work with reserved ip's on ambari node and on the master nodes. This have benefits if your comapny has strong security concepts like port forwarding.