Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to use compression with Kudu tables?

Contributor

Looking for documentation. Using Impala on Kudu at the moment.

Found https://kudu.apache.org/docs/schema_design.html , says Kudu allows compression on a column level. How about if I wanted table level?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

Hi AKB,

Assuming you're asking about Impala, you can find the exact syntax for creating tables with compressed/encoded columns in the CREATE TABLE reference, and the syntax for altering tables to add compression/encodings in the ALTER TABLE reference.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Contributor

Hi AKB, there's no table-level compression.  The closest equivalent would be specifying compression for all columns.  It's pretty typical to rely on encodings to reduce size as much as possible, and then additionally apply compression only for particularly big or cold columns.

Contributor

Can you please direct me to some docs that say how to set encodings and how to declare column level compression? I am not able to find this. Thanks.

Contributor

Hi AKB,

Assuming you're asking about Impala, you can find the exact syntax for creating tables with compressed/encoded columns in the CREATE TABLE reference, and the syntax for altering tables to add compression/encodings in the ALTER TABLE reference.