Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

I am getting Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to alter table.

I am getting Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to alter table.

New Contributor

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I am getting Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to alter table.

Master Collaborator

Can you share the query that you ran? Did it run a YARN application which failed? If so, look for errors in the YARN application logs. You can fetch that from command line by running

yarn logs -applicationId <application ID>

Re: I am getting Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to alter table.

New Contributor

alter table table_name rename to new_table_name

generally what happening when i am doing alter on my application table name it got failed.

but when i am creating a test table then it is working fine.

yes it run a yarn application

@Md furqan

show create table table_name;

Can you paste the output of the above command?

Highlighted

New Contributor

You don't have permission to apply any DDL operation on this table. Please check your access settings in sentry.

@sandeep agarwal I believe you are refering to CDH sentry. I am not sure if sentry is in the picture as of now.

Mentor

@Md furqan can you accept the best answer to close this thread?