Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Check out our newest addition to the community, the Cloudera Data Analytics (CDA) group hub.

I dont see an option to select 2.5 from the versions drop down for Ambari -> Stacks and Versions. Looking to upgrade from 2.4 to 2.5

Explorer

Hi I had Ambari 2.3 and I have now upgraded it to 2.4. I want to upgrade the Hdp 2.4 to 2.5 and not sure how to proceed since the version 2.5 does not show up on my Ambari when I go to Ambari -> Stacks and Versions -> Register a Version-->

There is a details drop down but it only has option to select one of the items from drop down. Options are Hdp 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4. Unless I select something from the list I cannot enter the repository info to register.

Seems like I am missing a step to get the 2.5 to display so that I can select it from the list and enter the repository details.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

20 REPLIES 20

@Anika S

Did you add HDP2.5 to your Repo?

can you try to run below command on ambari-server host and provide output?

yum list ambari-server

@Anika S

Not sure whether you have already registered the 2.5 version.

If not registered Go to Ambari -> click on the username (on right top corner) -> Manage ambari - >versions -> click on Register version

Enter the version name and repo details and save it. then then you will be able to see the version details.

Explorer

Hi @apappu Thanks for your reply. That's where the issue resides since it is not showing 2.5 on the list at the top. without select 2.5 there I wouldn't be able to enter repository details. But I don't see the option Please let me know any suggestions.

Thanks

@Anika S

Can you check if you have /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/stacks/HDP/2.5/repos/repoinfo.xml file/path in your Ambari server? Ambari reads the repos from this path for HDP2.5 and show it up in the UI.

If your Ambari installation/upgrade is proper then it must have this folder.

Explorer

Hi @Divakar Annapureddy

Thanks for your reply. I ran the yum list ambari-server command and got the foll. output.

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin, search-disabled-repos, security *Note* Red Hat Network repositories are not listed below. You must run this comm and as root to access RHN repositories. Skipping unreadable repository '/etc/yum.repos.d/HDP-2.4.0.0.repo' Skipping unreadable repository '/etc/yum.repos.d/HDP-2.4.2.0.repo' HDP-2.3 | 2.9 kB 00:00 HDP-2.3/primary_db | 60 kB 00:00 HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20 | 2.9 kB 00:00 HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20/primary_db | 27 kB 00:00 Updates-ambari-2.2.1.1 | 2.9 kB 00:00 Updates-ambari-2.2.1.1/primary_db | 5.9 kB 00:00 Installed Packages ambari-server.x86_64 2.2.1.1-70 @Updates-ambari-2.2.1.1

I directly selected , pointed to directories for 2.4 and gave the url and registered the 2.4 version. Then I did the upgrade. so it seems that I am missing a step . Please share any suggestions.

Thanks

@Anika S

Here in your output, I'm not seeing HDP2.5.2 repo information and latest Ambari information as well.

I would suggest you to upgrade ambari2.4.2 first and then try to upgrade your HDP with 2.5.x. Ensure that your Repo's should show Ambari & HDP versions like below before start any installation.

[root@abc]# yum list ambari-server

Satellite. Installed Packages

ambari-server.x86_64 2.4.2.0-136

---------------------------------------

[root@adc]# yum list HDP*

Satellite. Installed Packages

hdp-select.noarch 2.5.2.

-----------------------------------

Explorer

Hi @Divakar Annapureddy

Thanks for the reply.

How do I add HDP2.5 to my Repo?

I just clicked on Ambari-->Stacks and Versions --> register version to register hdp2.4.0 and specified the repository url for HDP and HDP utils. I did not do any steps to add 2.4 to my repo. Am I missing a step for it to show up on the yum list? Just wanted to check before I proceed. Please let me know.

Thanks

Explorer

I now see the the following for yum list ambari-server

Installed Packages ambari-server.x86_64 2.2.1.1-70 @Updates-ambari-2.2.1.1 Available Packages ambari-server.x86_64 2.4.2.0-136 Updates-ambari-2.4.2.0

yum list HDP*

Installed Packages hdp-select.noarch 2.4.0.0-169.el6 @HDP-2.4.0.0 hdparm.x86_64 9.43-4.el6 @clone-clone-rhel-x86_64-server-6 Available Packages hdp-select.noarch 2.5.0.0-1245.el6 HDP-2.5.0.0

But the drop down where I should register a version doesn't display 2.5

Explorer

Hi @Divakar Annapureddy seems like a glitch . I tried the upgrade from command line for ambari and hdp and it worked without issues. Thanks for your help.

@Anika S

Can you check if you have /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/stacks/HDP/2.5/repos/repoinfo.xml file/path in your Ambari server? Ambari reads the repos from this path for HDP2.5 and show it up in the UI.

If your Ambari installation/upgrade is proper then it must have this folder.

Explorer

I see only 2.4 as the highest version. is there anything I need to do to get the repo downloaded so that I can have it appear here and also show up on ambari ui?

@Anika S

That means your Ambari server is not installed properly, can you re-install your Ambari server? don't need to change any thing in the DB. you can uninstall ambari-server and install it again. you should see the folder structure like below

[root@XXX]# pwd
/var/lib/ambari-server/resources/stacks/HDP
[root@XXXX]# ls
2.0  2.0.6  2.0.6.GlusterFS  2.1  2.1.GlusterFS  2.2  2.3  2.3.ECS  2.3.GlusterFS  2.4  2.5

Explorer

Hi @apappu I see the folder structure but I see 2.3 , 2.4 . I don't see 2.5 here

@Anika S

Ambari 2.4 comes with HDP2.5 folder, so either your installation is improper or someone by mistake might have deleted. you better re-install Ambari-server

@Anika S

Did you get a chance to try that?

Explorer

Hi @apappu I see the folder structure but I see 2.3 , 2.4 . I don't see 2.5 here

Explorer

Hi @apappu I actually downloaded the repositories for both ambari and hdp and did the upgrade from the command line. it worked without issues. seems like there is some glitch from ui. but command line worked.

Thanks

@Anika S

Yeah command line HDP upgrades may work but for Ambari it should have those files/folders to register the HDP version.

Mentor

i think you have multiple repo files in your/etc/yum.repos.d/ directory. Can you look the for any conflicting repos and remove older files. Then run

yum clean all

yum update

yum install ambari-server

Make sure it's 2.4.2 version

sudo ambari-server upgrade

Also make sure you update all agents and their repos must point to only one repo file, no conflicts.

Explorer

A very good page to refer is this one

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/2473/rolling-upgrade-express-upgrade-in-ambari.html. I was facing other problem and this page helped me. HTH.

Take a Tour of the Community
Don't have an account?
Your experience may be limited. Sign in to explore more.