Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Impala Queries Executing long time

Contributor

I'm seeing a lot of simple queries like, “SELECT * FROM DATABASE.TABLE”, “SHOW TABLES” and “DESCRIBE database.table that hang around in the list and say they’re Executing, even 90-170 minutes after they’ve completed. 

impala executing time.PNG 

impala executing time2.PNG

I would like to know if there is a way to configure Impala to stop/cancel a long-running query after a certain amount of time.

Found the below link to set time limit but were using TABLEAU so need more time for tableau(6 users) queries.

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/impala_query_timeout_s.html

It seems like it’s almost necessary to run two instances of Impala (one for Tableau and one for all other requests).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Super Guru
Do your users also use Hue to run Impala queries? Hue will hold the query handler open so that it can do paginations, and it will only kill the handler after user navigates away from the impala page. If user stays on the page, the handler will be kept open and the query is considered as in flight.

Please confirm Hue usage first.

Thanks

Explorer

How can we ensure if query is completed and its only query handler is open ?

Explorer

That can be seen in "query detail" : query timeline

For queries already completed there should be a row for first row fetched.

I'm not aware of any option to see it on impala queries page.

You can also set idle query timeout and idle session timeout in impala advance snippet to force timeout for queries running from hue.

Contributor

Hi,

We are also seeing a problem when query run from Hue query gets completed but when we see the running queries in Impala cloudera Manager, we see its in executing state.

Can you please help us understand what could be the reason.

Regards

Ajay chaudhary

Super Guru
Hi Ajay,

As I mentioned before in the previous post:

Hue will hold the query handler open so that it can do paginations, and it will only kill the handler after user navigates away from the impala page. If user stays on the page, the handler will be kept open and the query is considered as in flight.

This is intended and part of design. If you do not want it to be open for long time, you need to set the idle_session_timeout at Impala level.

Cheers
Eric