Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Impala SQL: Unable to LOAD DATA from HDFS path due to WRITE permissions

SOLVED Go to solution

Impala SQL: Unable to LOAD DATA from HDFS path due to WRITE permissions

New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm using Impala Official docker image "cloudera/quickstart".
I can upload a TEXT-formatted file to a HDFS location. However, when I executed LOAD DATA command to do data migration, I received following error:

[Simba]ImpalaJDBCDriver ERROR processing query/statement. Error Code: 0, SQL state: TStatus(statusCode:ERROR_STATUS, sqlState:HY000, errorMessage:AnalysisException: Unable to LOAD DATA from hdfs://quickstart.cloudera:8020/user/customer.tbl.1 because Impala does not have WRITE permissions on its parent directory hdfs://quickstart.cloudera:8020/user ), Query: load data inpath '/user/customer.tbl.1' overwrite into table my_table. [SQL State=HY000, DB Errorcode=500051]

My sql is :

load data inpath '/user/customer.tbl.1' overwrite into table my_table

Is there anyone know what is going on?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Impala SQL: Unable to LOAD DATA from HDFS path due to WRITE permissions

Champion

@yexianyi

The actual answer for your question is you need to change the owner/group of /user/customer.tbl.1 accessible by hive/impala

In addition to that, the default cloudera recommended path to maintain hive/impala table is "/user/hive/warehouse/"

So in your case, create a DB called customer in the default path as follows and make sure owner/group accessible by hive/impala and try again

hdfs dfs -ls /user/hive/warehouse/customer.db

hdfs dfs -ls /user/hive/warehouse

drwxrwxrwt   - hive       hive           0 2016-11-25 15:11 /user/hive/warehouse/customer.db

3 REPLIES 3

Champion

@yexianyi

The actual answer for your question is you need to change the owner/group of /user/customer.tbl.1 accessible by hive/impala

In addition to that, the default cloudera recommended path to maintain hive/impala table is "/user/hive/warehouse/"

So in your case, create a DB called customer in the default path as follows and make sure owner/group accessible by hive/impala and try again

hdfs dfs -ls /user/hive/warehouse/customer.db

hdfs dfs -ls /user/hive/warehouse

drwxrwxrwt   - hive       hive           0 2016-11-25 15:11 /user/hive/warehouse/customer.db

New Contributor
Thank u so much!! It's working now.

New Contributor

Is there a way to change hdfs permissions when importing files via sqoop?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49759591/sqoop-how-to-change-hdfs-permissions-on-imported-files