Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Impala queries through impala JDBC is running with empty user

Master Collaborator

Hi All,

I'm using zeppelin to run report using impala.

I downloaded impala JDBC to my linux machine, when i'm looking at the impala queries at cloudera manager, i see my queries running with empty user " ".

I didn't integrate LDAP authnitication yet with Impala.

I have 2 small questions:

1- where and how i can pass the user that i need the queries to run with in the impala JDBC?

2- How i can restrict only queries qith user specific to run.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

I am very happy to report that this finally did the trick for me.  I had not thought to leave the PWD field blank but that was the answer.

Here is my final connection string that is working perfectly with DBeaver:

jdbc:impala://1.0.0.1:21050/mydb;AuthMech=3;UID=myuser;UseSasl=0;PWD=

@FawzeI think this issue can finally be marked as resolved

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

Expert Contributor

Interestingly, though many people in this thread are complaining of the same issue, no one has posted an error message that shows the correct syntax as outlined by the manual in the link from @Lars Volker.

Specifically, the manual shows the syntax for the connection string with a username (and no password) should be using AuthMech=2:

jdbc:impala://node1.example.com:21050;AuthMech=2;UID=impala

At least for me, this "resolved" the issue because now I am trying to debug a connection timeout.  So I guess that is progress 😕

Master Collaborator

@epowell Apologize me, it's my fault since i solved it using auth mechanism 6 and didn't update the thread.

Expert Contributor

AuthMech=6?  I don't see that in the manual as an option.  Can you please post your full connection string?  Thanks

Master Collaborator

@epowell My bad, i mixed this with my issue with the impala ODBC.

In this issue i still unable to get it works.

Yes i'm passing the conf than Lars share but my issue with i change the AuthMech to 2, my queries stuck.

jdbc:impala://node1.example.com:21050;AuthMech=2; UID=fawzea

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 5.17.19 PM.png

Log:

ERROR [2018-10-21 10:16:20,388] ({pool-2-thread-2} JDBCInterpreter.java[open]:197) - zeppelin will be ignored. driver.zeppelin and zeppelin.url is mandatory.

Expert Contributor

I cannot get it to work either.  I am trying to use the connection string within the DBbeaver database client and it just hangs forever.

Explorer

I am also  trying  DBbeaver

Expert Contributor

It seems like this thread still has no resolution.  I was inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to Cloudera and assume this was a DBeaver issue but it seems other people using straight Java cannot get a working connection string either. 

It would be great if we could get a cloudera employee to have another look at this thread.  In particular, Dbeaver is an outstanding DB client and I was using it with great success before I started using authentication.  It is a real shame to have lost it.

Can anyone successfully use the connection string from the manual (username, no password)?

Explorer

Alright!

I can do Impala jdbc connect with passing username. When I connect with out user name, user name is shown as blank.

Expert Contributor
Can you post you connection string?

Explorer

HOST=<<host>>; PORT=21050