Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

In Java Convert Mahout Vector to Spark Vector

Rising Star

I have a VectorWritable (org.apache.mahout.math.VectorWritable) which is coming from a sequence file generated by Mahout something like the following.

publicvoid write(List<Vector> points,int clustersNumber,HdfsConnector connector)throwsIOException{this.writePointsToFile(newPath(connector.getPointsInput(),"pointsInput"), connector.getFs(), connector.getConf(), points);Path clusterCentroids =newPath(connector.getClustersInput(),"part-0");SequenceFile.Writer writer =SequenceFile.createWriter(
            connector.getConf(),Writer.file(clusterCentroids),Writer.keyClass(Text.class),Writer.valueClass(Kluster.class));List<Vector> centroids = getCentroids;for(int i =0; i < centroids.size(); i++){Vector vect = centroids.get(i);Kluster centroidCluster =newKluster(vect, i,newSquaredEuclideanDistanceMeasure());
        writer.append(newText((centroidCluster).getIdentifier()),
                centroidCluster);}
    writer.close();}

and I would like to convert that into Vector (org.apache.spark.mllib.linalg.Vectors) type Spark as JavaRDD<Vector> How can I do that in Java ?

I've read something about sequenceFile in Spark but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Tou can convert a org.apache.mahout.math.Vector into a org.apache.spark.mllib.linalg.Vector by using the iterateNonZero() or iterateAll() methods of org.apache.mahout.math.Vector.

In fact, if you Vector is sparse the first option is the best. In this case you can build two arrays via the iterateNonZero: one containing all the non-zero indexes and the other with the corresponding values, i.e.

ArrayList<Double> values = new ArrayList<Double>();
ArrayList<Integer> indexes = new ArrayList<Integer>();
org.apache.mahout.math.Vector v = ...
Iterator<Element> it = v.iterateNonZero();
while(it.hasNext()){
	Element e = it.next();
	values.add(e.get());
	indexes.add(e.index());
}
Vectors.sparse(v.size(), indexes.toArray(new Integer[indexes.size()]) ,values.toArray(new Double[values.size()]));

You can do the same thing if you have a dense Vector using the iterateAll() method and Vectors.dense.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

Tou can convert a org.apache.mahout.math.Vector into a org.apache.spark.mllib.linalg.Vector by using the iterateNonZero() or iterateAll() methods of org.apache.mahout.math.Vector.

In fact, if you Vector is sparse the first option is the best. In this case you can build two arrays via the iterateNonZero: one containing all the non-zero indexes and the other with the corresponding values, i.e.

ArrayList<Double> values = new ArrayList<Double>();
ArrayList<Integer> indexes = new ArrayList<Integer>();
org.apache.mahout.math.Vector v = ...
Iterator<Element> it = v.iterateNonZero();
while(it.hasNext()){
	Element e = it.next();
	values.add(e.get());
	indexes.add(e.index());
}
Vectors.sparse(v.size(), indexes.toArray(new Integer[indexes.size()]) ,values.toArray(new Double[values.size()]));

You can do the same thing if you have a dense Vector using the iterateAll() method and Vectors.dense.

Rising Star

@Marco Gaido thank you for you answer it's really helpful,

Can you please tell me how to store the vectors to the HDFS after converting them

and then read them from the HDFS to use them in Spark kmean for clustering

as KMeansModel clusters = KMeans.train

Expert Contributor

The easiest way is to use the method saveAsObjectFile and read it through the objectFile method... You can easily find them in Spark documentation for further details about them.