Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Incomplete HDFS URI While Creating An External Table In Hive

Highlighted

Incomplete HDFS URI While Creating An External Table In Hive

New Contributor

Hi!

I've got a cdh 5.4 distribution installed in the cluster mode. When trying to create a new external table based on hdfs location I always get the following error message:

Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. MetaException(message:Got exception: java.io.IOException Incomplete HDFS URI, no host: hdfs://hadoop-nn1:8020:8020/user/hive/warehouse/test.db/profile)

Checked out all configuration files and couldn't find port 8020 to be set twice somewhere in configuration files as mentioned in error message above.

Could you please give a hint what else do I need to check in order to fix this issue? 

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Incomplete HDFS URI While Creating An External Table In Hive

Rising Star

I have set up a 3 node cluster using CM

CDH 5.5.1

The reference to the namenode is incorrect. Somewhere its picking up an additional ":8020" :-(

The hadoop NN is hadoop01.corp.rhalf.com:8020

ERROR in Hive Metastore server log

2016-01-25 17:32:52,510 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler: [pool-3-thread-33]: MetaException(message:Got exception: java.io.IOException Incomplete HDFS URI, no host: hdfs://hadoop01.corp.rhalf.com:8020:8020/user/hive/warehouse/cdr.db/cdr_mjp_uni_srch_usr_hist)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.logAndThrowMetaException(MetaStoreUtils.java:1182)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.Warehouse.getFs(Warehouse.java:110)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.Warehouse.getDnsPath(Warehouse.java:144)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.Warehouse.getDnsPath(Warehouse.java:150)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.Warehouse.getTablePath(Warehouse.java:188)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.Warehouse.getFileStatusesForUnpartitionedTable(Warehouse.java:542)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.updateUnpartitionedTableStatsFast(MetaStoreUtils.java:179)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.updateUnpartitionedTableStatsFast(MetaStoreUtils.java:174)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.create_table_core(HiveMetaStore.java:1398)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.create_table_with_environment_context(HiveMetaStore.java:1444)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor52.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.invokeInternal(RetryingHMSHandler.java:133)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.invoke(RetryingHMSHandler.java:99)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy12.create_table_with_environment_context(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.ThriftHiveMetastore$Processor$create_table_with_environment_context.getResult(ThriftHiveMetastore.java:9136)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.ThriftHiveMetastore$Processor$create_table_with_environment_context.getResult(ThriftHiveMetastore.java:9120)
at org.apache.thrift.ProcessFunction.process(ProcessFunction.java:39)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.TUGIBasedProcessor$1.run(TUGIBasedProcessor.java:110)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.TUGIBasedProcessor$1.run(TUGIBasedProcessor.java:106)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1671)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.TUGIBasedProcessor.process(TUGIBasedProcessor.java:118)
at org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:285)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

2016-01-25 17:32:52,510 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.log.PerfLogger: [pool-3-thread-33]: </PERFLOG method=create_table_with_environment_context start=1453771972295 end=1453771972510 duration=215 from=org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler threadId=33 retryCount=-1 error=true>

Highlighted

Super Collaborator

Was this a new install or an upgrade?

Things to check;

- value for "fs.defaultFS"

- value for "hive.metastore.warehouse.dir"

Does the issue persists when you create a new Hive table?

For the reported issue in Hive CLI (Check the LOCATION value);

- hive> describe formatted [name of the affected table];

- OR hive> show create table [name of the affected table];

To fix the affected table

- hive> alter table [name of the affected table] set location 'hdfs://replace-this-with-your-namenode:8020/user/hive/warehouse/cdr.db/cdr_mjp_uni_srch_usr_hist'

Let me know if this helps,

Michalis

Highlighted

Rising Star

Hi

This is a new install.

I am not able to create any tables yet :-( 

ubuntu@hadoop02:~$ hive -e "use cdr;describe formatted cdr_mjp_uni_srch_usr_hist"

Logging initialized using configuration in jar:file:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.5.1-1.cdh5.5.1.p0.11/jars/hive-common-1.1.0-cdh5.5.1.jar!/hive-log4j.properties

OK

Time taken: 2.006 seconds

FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10001]: Table not found cdr_mjp_uni_srch_usr_hist

Highlighted

Rising Star

I queried the table DBS and see how the DB_LOCATION_URI column indeed looked wrong 

mysql> select DB_LOCATION_URI from DBS;

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| DB_LOCATION_URI                                                     |

| hdfs://hadoop01.corp.rhalf.com:8020:8020/user/hive/warehouse        |

| hdfs://hadoop01.corp.rhalf.com:8020:8020/user/hive/warehouse/cdr.db |

I update the Hive table to correct the DB_LOCATION_URI column

Then I did some tests like deleting the DB and recreating the DB and tables.

Worked great now.

Still dont know why the DB_LOCATION_URI location got written wrong the first time...But lets move on ahead ! 

Thanks a ton ! 

I believe in CDH and Cloudera ! 

Highlighted

New Contributor

@sanjaysubramani, you're exactly right - I noticed the same duplicated service port in the HDFS path (in the metadata tables for Hive):

MariaDB [metastorec02]> select * from DBS;
+-------+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+---------+------------+------------+
| DB_ID | DESC                  | DB_LOCATION_URI                                          | NAME    | OWNER_NAME | OWNER_TYPE |
+-------+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+---------+------------+------------+
|     1 | Default Hive database | hdfs://vesta.my.domain:8020:8020/user/hive/warehouse | default | public     | ROLE       |

I followed the same approach as you; I updated DB_LOCATION_URI and excluded one of the :8020 values.

As some additional context, I was simply trying to create an Impala table - stored as Parquet - from an existing table. I was receiving the error:

"ERROR: AnalysisException: Unable to INSERT into target table (default.reqt): Incomplete HDFS URI, no host: hdfs://vesta.my.domain:8020:8020/user/hive/warehouse/reqt"

(CDH 5.8.2)

After applying the fix above, I'm able to create the Impala table.

--
Cloudera CDH 5.8.2 / Centos 7
Highlighted

New Contributor

Hi,

so I ran into the same exception on a HDP 3.1.0 for my own external tables, as well as the default and sys tables of hive.

My value for fs.defaultFS was hdfs://my_host.com:8020

• Using ALTER TABLE ... SET LOCATION did not work, since it needs the original location of the table to change its location, which of course isn't possible.
  • I then went into the Hive Metastore to change the location of the tables manually. To do this, two Metastore tables are necessary:
    • hive.DBS stores the location of databases in column DB_LOCATION_URI
    • hive.SDS stores the location of tables in column LOCATION
  • I then updated those values to only containing the port once using e.g. "UPDATE SDS SET LOCATION = 'example' WHERE SD_ID = 1"
  • After that I changed fs.defaultFS to hdfs://my_host.com (without the port number)

After that everything worked out. fs.defaultFS not containing a port number didn't seem to break anything, but be aware.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here