Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Insert into Hive using ODBC Driver - query keeps running

Explorer

Hi

I have a .Net application and am exploring ways to upload data from Sql Server to Hive. I understand I have options of using Sqoop, NiFi, SSIS. I was exploring possibilities with the Hive ODBC driver.

My C# code goes something like this:

string hiveConnString = @"DRIVER={Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver};
                                        Host=192.168.137.129; Port=10000; Schema=default;
                                        HiveServerType=hiveserver2;";
var conn = new OdbcConnection(hiveConnString);
OdbcCommand selectCommand = null;
OdbcDataAdapter adapter = null;
conn.Open();
adapter = new OdbcDataAdapter();
selectCommand = new OdbcCommand();
selectCommand.Connection = conn;
selectCommand.CommandText = "..........";// The INSERT QUERY
int result = selectCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();

I am able to perform SELECT statements and retrieve data. I was also able to create a table in Hive using ExecuteNonQuery.

However when I try to run INSERT statement, the ExecuteNonQuery method never returns. Initially I had 190 rows in the source table - I waited 20 minutes for the method to return. Then I tried to use just ONE row - same result.

I looked at Hive through Ambari. The queries were running. Am attaching an image of running queries. You can see 4 queries running. The Query column has the INSERT queries that I had submitted. The Application ID column has no id (it says NOT Available).

I have also attached an image of one query details.

39458-hive-query-details.png

I cannot understand why the ODBC driver is not able to execute the statement. The table has a BINARY datatype column (you can see System.Byte[] as the value in the query). Could that be an issue. I would assume that a mismatch on any datatype would return error.

Also, I do not see any way to kill the queries.

39457-hive-running-queries.png

Any help is much appreciated.

regards

Vinay

5 REPLIES 5

Expert Contributor
@Vinay Sikka

Can you please check the status on YARN and if those jobs are running ?

Select * and creating hive tables doesn't need YARN.

Explorer

@nyakkanti Thanks for your response. Not sure what you are suggesting. My issue was not with select * or create table - those worked fine. Issue is with INSERT statements - those are still running. The images I had attached show the running queries. I don't see anything of use in the YARN service summary or YARN Queue Manager. Pls elaborate on where to check for the jobs that are running those queries.

Expert Contributor
@Vinay Sikka

Can you please check yarn RM UI pointed out in the tutorial and see if those jobs are running on YARN.

http://hadooptutorial.info/yarn-web-ui/

Explorer

I do not see any pending jobs in YARN. Only 3 jobs are listed and the status is finished\succeeded.

In Ambari, I can still see the 4 queries running as mentioned in the original post.

Explorer

@nyakkanti

I do not see any pending jobs in YARN. Only 3 jobs are listed and the status is finished\succeeded.

In Ambari, I can still see the 4 queries running as mentioned in the original post.