Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Install NiFi on HDP 2.5?

Expert Contributor

Hi, i am following the online tutorials and i am currently trying to install NiFi but it keeps loading at "Assign master components to hosts you want to run them on." without moving past this . I havent added any nodes to my cluster yet, is this the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Roger Young, yes, you do need to add nodes to your HDF cluster before assigning components. Please note that NiFi is part of the HDF stack, not HDP, and is managed by a separate Ambari instance.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Hi @Roger Young, yes, you do need to add nodes to your HDF cluster before assigning components. Please note that NiFi is part of the HDF stack, not HDP, and is managed by a separate Ambari instance.

Expert Contributor

ok thanks for the info.Thanks. When installing nodes through ambari, do i need to manually install anything on the slaves first or does ambari wizard install everything for me?

You can choose to use the Ambari wizard to install the Ambari agents on all nodes (via passwordless SSH). Otherwise, you can install ambari-agent manually on each node.

There are pre-requisites you'll need to ensure you have taken care of, as noted in the docs linked by @Geoffrey Shelton Okot, including openssl, ntp, curl, etc. Please the System Requirements and Prepare the Environment sections in http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDF2/HDF-2.0.1/bk_ambari-installation/content/ch_getting_re....

Expert Contributor

ok thank you.

Master Mentor

@Roger Young

HDF 2.0 cannot be installed on an existing HDP cluster ! It is not supported for installing on an Ambari instance with a deployed HDP cluster. HDF 2.0 has it's own Ambari and can be used to create a HDF cluster.

See the below Link

Expert Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am new and still a little confused. So does that mean this tutorial wont work?

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/learning-ropes-apache-nifi/ Or am i missing something?

Master Mentor

@Roger Young

The tutorial will definitely work but you need to successfully install your standalone or HDF 2.0 Cluster you dont need to add nodes to your cluster if its a single node.

Question: Are you deploying a single node or cluster ? Remember the HDF 2.0 installation follows the same preparatory steps like the HDP 2.x upto the Ambari Database install and there after you run the management PACK process which ensure that when you start your Ambari you ONLY have the HDF 2.0 repository available !!!

Expert Contributor

I started by creating my own cluster for testing purposes with a laptop as master and three raspberry pis acting as nodes. But when I downloaded the sandbox i realized it would be better to format the three raspberry pis and add them as nodes to the sandbox as it has alot of services built in. I havent added them yet, i was planning on doing all the online tutorials first

Master Guru

You install HDF 2.0 on one cluster; HDP 2.5 on another.

For a sandbox, download nifi.apache.org/downloads NIFI and you can run that as a standalone Java application on HDP sandbox. Just set the port to 8090