Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Installation does not complete, stuck on Waiting for ambari services to start

New Contributor

I am running Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP®) 2.6.4 on Hortonworks Sandbox in VirtualBox 5.2.8 on Windows 10. The virtual machine boots up and seems to get stuck for several minutes on: Waiting for ambari services to start...........

After waiting maybe 10 minutes, the console turns black/empty, the installation does not complete and I do not see the confirmation screen.

Any help to get past this is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

With the help of a very experienced hadoop user, I got my sandbox running in VirtualBox with the following steps:

(1) In Ambari, saw that NameNode was not starting up correctly:

* Click on "ops" link to the right of "Sandbox" on top of page

* Click on "Start HDFS" link in "Background Operations Running list

* Click on "sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com" link

* Click on "NameNode Start" link to see log:

2018-03-13 21:49:05,396 - Waiting up to 19 minutes for the NameNode to leave Safemode...

2018-03-13 21:49:05,397 - Execute['/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/hdfs dfsadmin -fs hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020 -safemode get | grep 'Safe mode is OFF''] {'logoutput': True, 'tries': 115, 'user': 'hdfs', 'try_sleep': 10}

2018-03-13 21:49:10,605 - Retrying after 10 seconds. Reason: Execution of '/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/hdfs dfsadmin -fs hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020 -safemode get | grep 'Safe mode is OFF'' returned 1.

(2) Using putty, ssh to 127.0.0.1 port 2222 log in as root and run:

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]# sudo -u hdfs hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave

Safe mode is OFF

(3) In Ambari Dashboard on bottom left, in Actions menu, restart all services by:

* Click "Stop All" link and wait until completed

* Click "Start All" link and wait until completed

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

New Contributor

Also occurs with Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP®) 2.6.4 on Hortonworks Sandbox in VMWare 14.1.1 on Windows 10

New Contributor

With the help of a very experienced hadoop user, I got my sandbox running in VirtualBox with the following steps:

(1) In Ambari, saw that NameNode was not starting up correctly:

* Click on "ops" link to the right of "Sandbox" on top of page

* Click on "Start HDFS" link in "Background Operations Running list

* Click on "sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com" link

* Click on "NameNode Start" link to see log:

2018-03-13 21:49:05,396 - Waiting up to 19 minutes for the NameNode to leave Safemode...

2018-03-13 21:49:05,397 - Execute['/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/hdfs dfsadmin -fs hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020 -safemode get | grep 'Safe mode is OFF''] {'logoutput': True, 'tries': 115, 'user': 'hdfs', 'try_sleep': 10}

2018-03-13 21:49:10,605 - Retrying after 10 seconds. Reason: Execution of '/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/hdfs dfsadmin -fs hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020 -safemode get | grep 'Safe mode is OFF'' returned 1.

(2) Using putty, ssh to 127.0.0.1 port 2222 log in as root and run:

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]# sudo -u hdfs hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave

Safe mode is OFF

(3) In Ambari Dashboard on bottom left, in Actions menu, restart all services by:

* Click "Stop All" link and wait until completed

* Click "Start All" link and wait until completed

Super Collaborator

1. When you see a black/empty VM splash page, try pressing the "CTRL" key.
2. I've successfully ran on VirtualBox 5.2.6. I will upgrade to VirtualBox 5.2.8 and re-deploy.
3. On your browser, try connecting to localhost:4200, localhost:8080 and localhost:8888 - do they connect successfully?