Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is it possible to connect a Java ee application(JSF, Spring,Hibernate) with HDP and use hortonworks features ?

Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor
@haroun dellay

Short answer: Yes

Master Mentor

Contributor

And the long answer ? haha , how may my JavaEE Application connect to hortonwroks running on virtualBox

Master Guru

Not really. You mean as a persisted storage layer under hibernate and ejbs correct?

Hive wouldn't work well for this since it's not an oltp database. It is a wareshoue.. So that would leave hbase most likely with Apache Phoenix.

I Googled it a bit and focused on hibernate because that seems to be the most popular recently and did not find a connector for Phoenix. Doesn't mean it's not possible to write one.

Googled a bit more and there is Hibernate OGM for NoSQL stores as well. Unfortunately it currently does not support HBase.

http://hibernate.org/ogm/

So the two possibilities would be to write an extension for OGM for HBase or rewrite a connector for Apache Phoenix. I wrote one for Netezza a while back and it should not be terribly difficult, although the Phoenix syntax has some differences to standard SQL ( UPSERT instead of INSERT ... )