Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Is it possible to render flow inside Process group without double clicking on process group?

Is it possible to render flow inside Process group without double clicking on process group?

(using nifi 1.1.2), When you double click on the process group, the group id is set and canvas is reloaded to show the all the components inside the process group, I want to know if it is possible to render all the flow inside any process group anywhere on the first breadcrum level of canvas?

Thank You.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is it possible to render flow inside Process group without double clicking on process group?

Contributor

There is currently no ability to render a process group at a higher level or in a different view than its nested state.

However, with the release of 1.2.0 it is now possible to access a process group (or other component) directly via deep linking. From this standpoint, once I enter a process group, that will provide me a URL such as http://localhost:8080/nifi/?processGroupId=11774962-015c-1000-6e20-6d87498f7427&componentIds= which will allow me to enter directly into the group with the associated id.

There has been some mention in the past within the community about having different workspaces (different groups could use a shared instance but have an independent canvas from their view) which I believe gets to the experience you are looking for but there has not been any tangible design or implementation to work toward that at this point in time.

Re: Is it possible to render flow inside Process group without double clicking on process group?

Thank you for response. We are trying to create custom UI for the nifi, which is why we required that functionality, apparently its not possible.

Since its not possible to render the Process Group on the root Process Group, is there any way we can group together different data flows on the root canvas? For example, if you are familiar with Adobe Illustrator, wherein you can group together different shapes to form a group. Likewise I want to be able to group together data flows on the root canvas. I have explored nf.Snippet.marshal little bit, but I am not sure if it can help in this case.

Thank You.

Master Guru

@Bhushan Babar

I apologize, but I am not following your question very well.

The NIFi canvas consists 1 to many process groups. These process groups can be nested within each other and have granular access controls set differently on each.

When you first start up a new NiFi instance/cluster, the blank canvas you see is actually just another process group. We refer to this top level process group as the root process group. You can build all you different dataflows directly on this root process group or you can add 1 to many sub-process groups that will contain their own sets of dataflows.

A UUID is assigned to a process group when it is created. I am not following what you mean by "the group id is set" when you double click on it.

When you double click on a process group, you enter that process group and the canvas only renders what is inside that current process group. This process is similar to how you navigate sub folders within your operating system. Along the bottom left corner of the Nifi UI you will see the "breadcrumbs" that show where in relation to the top level root process group you are currently located. You can click on any process group breadcrumb to jump directly to that parent process group level.

I am not understanding the use case for rendering a sub-process groups components within the root process group's canvas?

Hope this helps,

Matt

Thank you for response. We are trying to create custom UI for the nifi, which is why we required that functionality, apparently its not possible.

I was referring to the enterGroup function in the nf-canvas-utils.js when said "the group id is set".

Since its not possible to render the Process Group on the root Process Group, is there any way we can group together different data flows on the root canvas? For example, if you are familiar with Adobe Illustrator, wherein you can group together different shapes to form a group. Likewise I want to be able to group together data flows on the root canvas. I have explored nf.Snippet.marshal little bit, but I am not sure if it can help in this case.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here