Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Is privileged mode really necessary for HDP Docker?

Is privileged mode really necessary for HDP Docker?

New Contributor

Hello,

I would like to ask what is privileged mode for regarding HDP Docker image? I understand to some extend what is "privileged" generally but I am unsure if I can disable privileged for HDP Docker image and use all Hadoop services...

Thanks.

Bohuslav

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Is privileged mode really necessary for HDP Docker?

Community Manager

The above was originally posted in the Community Help Track. On Mon Jun 3 17:47 UTC 2019, a member of the HCC moderation staff moved it to the Sandbox & Learning track. The Community Help Track is intended for questions about using the HCC site itself.

Bill Brooks, Community Manager
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Expert Contributor

Hi @Bohuslav Dvorsky,
Docker --privileged enables access to all devices on the host and allows the container nearly all the same access to the host as processes. You may want to look at the Sandbox Architecture for more information.

I cannot think of a reason why you want to disable - give it a try and see what happens.

New Contributor
This I do unuderstand. I've given it a try and Hadoop services won't start... One of many reasons why is --privileged not recommended is the access to host which is a security flaw. So my question is how do I start hadoop services without privileged mode?
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here