Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Load Iceberg Table on PowerBI Desktop

Explorer

Hi all,

After establishing a connection to Cloudera Virtual Warehouse from PowerBI Desktop using Hive LLAP connector, I'm not able to load Iceberg tables. I receive the following error:

DataSource.Error : ODBC : ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][Hardy] (80) Syntax or semantic analysis error thrown in server while executing query. Error message from server: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: Runtime Exception org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Table XXXX is an Iceberg table format which is not currently supported.

I tried also installing the Hive ODBC driver 2.7.0. I configured the User DSN and test was successful. When I try to connect form PBI Desktop, I can establish the connection but I receive the same error if I try to load an Iceberg table:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Cloudera][Hardy] (80) Syntax or semantic analysis error thrown in server while executing query. Error message from server: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: Runtime Exception org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Table XXXX  is an Iceberg table format which is not currently supported.

How can I load iceberg table on PowerBI?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Master Collaborator

Hi @ren97 

Hive LLAP mainly used for accessing the Hive tables (Managed and External) and not for Iceberg tables

I don't think we are supported to access the Iceberg tables using PowerBI directly. 

One thing you can try configure Impala and from Impala you create iceberg table and try to access it.

View solution in original post

Explorer

Hi @RangaReddy ,

I tried installing the Impala ODBC driver 2.7.0 on my local PC and I can view correctly iceberg tables from PBI Desktop.

Many thanks for the help!

Regards,

Renata

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Community Manager

@ren97 Welcome to the Cloudera Community!

To help you get the best possible solution, I have tagged our Iceberg expert @RangaReddy  who may be able to assist you further.

Please keep us updated on your post, and we hope you find a satisfactory solution to your query.

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Explorer

Hi @DianaTorres ,

Many thanks for the help.

I'll wait the feedback of @RangaReddy about the encountered issue explained above.

Master Collaborator

Hi @ren97 

Hive LLAP mainly used for accessing the Hive tables (Managed and External) and not for Iceberg tables

I don't think we are supported to access the Iceberg tables using PowerBI directly. 

One thing you can try configure Impala and from Impala you create iceberg table and try to access it.

Explorer

Hi @RangaReddy ,

Many thanks for the feedback.

Currently I didn't find any docs regarding the connection to Iceberg table by PBI Desktop. For this reason I asked in the forum.

So neither the Impala ODBC driver would work for iceberg table, right?

Master Collaborator

Hi @ren97 

We don't have any setup to test your scenario. We can access iceberg table using impala, so i asked you to test. 

We have internal tools like Hue, Zeppelin by using these you can access Iceberg table and visualise your data.

Explorer

Hi @RangaReddy ,

I tried installing the Impala ODBC driver 2.7.0 on my local PC and I can view correctly iceberg tables from PBI Desktop.

Many thanks for the help!

Regards,

Renata