Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

MapReduce2 - History server doesn't start

MapReduce2 - History server doesn't start

New Contributor

Hi,

I've setup a 5 node cluster using ambari using different machines - not virtualbox VMs. To begin with I've installed only HDFS and YARN (and their dependencies).

MapReduce2 service is not starting - when I try to restart history server of mapreduce 2 service, I see this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/YARN/2.1.0.2.0/package/scripts/historyserver.py", line 134, in <module>
    HistoryServer().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 329, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/YARN/2.1.0.2.0/package/scripts/historyserver.py", line 101, in start
    skip=params.sysprep_skip_copy_tarballs_hdfs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/copy_tarball.py", line 267, in copy_to_hdfs
    replace_existing_files=replace_existing_files,
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/hdfs_resource.py", line 555, in action_create_on_execute
    self.action_delayed("create")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/hdfs_resource.py", line 552, in action_delayed
    self.get_hdfs_resource_executor().action_delayed(action_name, self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/hdfs_resource.py", line 287, in action_delayed
    self._create_resource()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/hdfs_resource.py", line 303, in _create_resource
    self._create_file(self.main_resource.resource.target, source=self.main_resource.resource.source, mode=self.mode)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/hdfs_resource.py", line 418, in _create_file
    self.util.run_command(target, 'CREATE', method='PUT', overwrite=True, assertable_result=False, file_to_put=source, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/hdfs_resource.py", line 199, in run_command
    raise Fail(err_msg)
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Execution of 'curl -sS -L -w '%{http_code}' -X PUT --data-binary @/usr/hdp/2.6.1.0-129/hadoop/mapreduce.tar.gz -H 'Content-Type: application/octet-stream' 'http://pap-hadoop-1.mynet.org:50070/webhdfs/v1/hdp/apps/2.6.1.0-129/mapreduce/mapreduce.tar.gz?op=CREATE&user.name=hdfs&overwrite=True&permission=444'' returned status_code=403. 
{
  "RemoteException": {
    "exception": "IOException", 
    "javaClassName": "java.io.IOException", 
    "message": "Failed to find datanode, suggest to check cluster health. excludeDatanodes=null"
  }
}

I've verified that the datanodes are running ok - Ambari reports that all the services are running ok

What could be the problem? How do I remedy this situation?

Update: I ran service check on HDFS and it fails, with the same error as above.

Thanks,

Radha.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: MapReduce2 - History server doesn't start

@Radha Krishna Srimanthula

Refer this related HCC link for the same issue.

New Contributor

Thanks Sindhu!

I checked the link - it suggests that I verify that fqdn names are specified properly in the config files.

I'd used FQDNs while setting up the cluster using ambari - was hoping that the conf file updates will be handled automatically.

Which config file(s) should I be looking for?

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

It ideally should be getting picked up from DNS or /etc/hosts files . Considering you have 5 nodes , can you add these entries to your /etc/hosts files and try it again ?

@Radha Krishna Srimanthula

The config files under /etc/hadoop/conf, /etc/hive/conf and /etc/hive/conf/conf.server.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here