Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

My Mac is completely frozen few minutes after laucning the Quickstart VM

My Mac is completely frozen few minutes after laucning the Quickstart VM

New Contributor

Hello,

I am doing a MOOC on data science and hadoop, and so we have to use the cloudera VM.

I have a mac book pro, with a process 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 and I have only 4GB of memory.

I downoaded Virtual Box, and then I imported this VM: https://downloads.cloudera.com/demo_vm/virtualbox/cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-virtualbox.zip.... When I try to launch it, it seems to work fine for few minutes, but then my computer becomes extremely slow to the point that I cannot do anything and I have to force it to turn off. 

Is is related to my system capacity? Or is it related to the configuration?   

Thanks a lot.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: My Mac is completely frozen few minutes after laucning the Quickstart VM

Community Manager

This looks to be due to the amount of RAM available to the VM. Below are the requirements for the VM from the download page which state the VM requires a minimum of 4GB of RAM to run. Since your Mac is already using some of the RAM to run, there is not enough left over for the VM. I hope this helps.   

Prerequisites

• These 64-bit VMs require a 64-bit host OS and a virtualization product that can support a 64-bit guest OS.
  • To use a VMware VM, you must use a player compatible with WorkStation 8.x or higher:
    • Player 4.x or higher
    • Fusion 4.x or higher

Older versions of WorkStation can be used to create a new VM using the same virtual disk (VMDK file), but some features in VMware Tools are not available.

• The amount of RAM required varies by the run-time option you choose:

CDH and Cloudera Manager Version RAM Required by VM
    CDH 5 (default) 4+ GiB*
    Cloudera Express 8+ GiB*
    Cloudera Enterprise (trial) 10+ GiB*

*Minimum recommended memory. If you are running workloads larger than the examples provided, consider allocating additional memory.

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum

New Contributor

Hey cjervis, thanks a lot.

I was about considering buying a new mac with a quad-core processor... So apparently it is worth trying to put more memory before...

Cheers.

Highlighted

Community Manager

My minimum RAM currently is 16GB, if possible, so I am good for a few years. Then again I am the type of guy with a bazillion browser tabs open, watching a video and editing photos all at once. :)

Best of luck. 

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum