Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Need help running HortonWorks Sandbox on PC.

New Contributor

Hey everyone, I am currently trying to run the hortonworks sandbox 3.0.1.

I have installed it on VMware with 22GB of ram allocated and 2 processor cores set, as I cannot enable more than that.

However, I have been facing a myriad of issues in this kind of install, ranging from servers such as YARN, HIVE and SPARK refusing to start fully.

I am incredibly frustrated with my experience with Hortonworks Sandbox. Any help is appreciated.

All I want to do is to complete this guide, https://www.cloudera.com/tutorials/using-hive-with-orc-in-apache-spark-repl.html.

I just cannot get spark-shell started.

1 REPLY 1

@BRinxen First, I feel your pain, as this sandbox was always an issue.  Some advice below.  Second, i would highly recommend you find a way to do something with hive,spark in another more modern form factor (not old hortonworks sandbox).   

That said,  you are going to need like 32 gb of ram on a very beefy machine to role the whole sandbox even then it will struggle.   If you have less resources, you willy only be able to run a few services, not the whole stack. Turn everything else off/maintenance mode.   Start yarn, mapreduce, hdfs first.  Then begin to start hive.   Expect things to take a long time so be patient.  Make sure nothing else is running on the main machine.