Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NiFi: Extract atrribute value from XML using EvaluateXPath

Expert Contributor

I created a workflow in NiFi 1.5.0 that reads a XML file from HDFS. After splitting the file into separate <Transaction> elements, I want to read out an attribute's value and afterwards react by this value.

My original XML looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Log>
  <Transaction Type="1" TrainingModeFlag="true">
    <StoreID>240041</StoreID>
  </Transaction>
</Log>

My Workflow splits the XML via SplitXML in depth 1, so after this processor I have this sub-xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Transaction Type="1" TrainingModeFlag="true">
  <StoreID>240041</StoreID>
</Transaction>

I want to extract the value of the Type attribute of the Transaction tag, but it doesn't work for me. Here my EvaluateXPath processor:

72493-1.png

My new content attribute has an empty string set, instead of showing the value 1:

72494-2.png

Using the XPath //@Type works, but I need the exact path, as the Type attribute can occur in sub-elements.

Can someone help?

6 REPLIES 6

Master Guru

I can't reproduce this, I used GenerateFlowFile with your input XML (adding two Transactions) -> SplitXML (level 1) and got the same "sub-xml" you did, then I used the same settings for EvaluateXPath and my content attribute has the correct value of 1. The only way I got it to show "Empty string set" is when I used /Transaction/@type as the XPath (note the wrong case for Type/type), is it possible there's a typo or case-sensitivity issue between your input XML and the XPath?

Expert Contributor

Thanks for your fast answer! I checked the settings and there are definitivly no upper/lower case problems. I just saw that the NiFi version is 1.4, not 1.5. Is there a problem with this processor?

Expert Contributor

I also tried to "generate" the XML by the GenerateFlowFile processor, but still the same problem (thought it has something to do with my read XML maybe, but seems not to be so)

Master Guru

Maybe try without the string() function around it?! I'm not sure, since I used the transform above and it worked...

Expert Contributor

Here my workflow so far:

72482-3.png

New Contributor

Same problem here. Valid XPath expressions produce empty strings in EvaluateXPath processor. In the attached screenshots only //@categoryId and //@UniqueType seem to work. I am using nifi 1.7.1 and jdk1.8.0_181.jdk. Any insights would be appreciated!

88457-examplexmlfile.png

88458-evaluatexpath-properties.png

88459-flowfileattributes.png