Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

​NiFi / NiFi-Registry - Best approach for "Change version" of a processgroup used by many other processgroups

Master Collaborator

Hi, I have a processgroup which acts as a subroutine for many other processgroups. I started version control and imported this version into the other processgroups. Now I made changes which lead to a new version which should be substituted in all other processgroups.

Found in "NiFi Summary" -> "PROCESS GROUPS" the possibility to find all affected processgroups.

The question is: Is there an other possibility for substitution except going from here to every single processgroup for "Change version"?

Using NiFi 1.6.0

Thanks for any help!

19 REPLIES 19

Contributor

It seems no such function yet. I currently move all my stuff in a 'root' group and version control it. For example, let's assume there are two environments - dev and prod. And I just import the same version-controlled 'root' group twice and named them 'dev' and 'prod'. When 'root' group version changed, all processes and groups inside - including version-controlled groups - changed too.108584-1.jpg

dev has 2 version-controlled groups inside and prod has 1 currently

108621-2.jpg

change prod version to 7 to sync

108612-3.jpg

New Contributor

Hi You have changed the version of prod from 5 to 7 manually by going to Ui, is it possible to do the same through nifi cli ? If yes then please share i dont want the manual intervention here to upgrade the version of process group

Thanks for the help

Contributor

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archongum/NiFi-templates/master/VersioningUpdateFlowVer.xml

Apply "change version" of all process groups which share the same version-control flow(bucket/flow)

Some input attributes:

1. process group id, a parent group which contains all process groups which share the same version-control flow. Set to 'root' to loop all process groups but cost more time.
  2. bucket name
  3. flow name
  4. target version

This template based on https://github.com/Chaffelson/nipyapi

Master Collaborator

@Archon Gum

Hi, thanks for this awsome information! Something like this I was looking for but could not find...

Did you develope this solution?

Tested it on my local installation (1.9.1) and it worked perfect.

Now I have to prepare my offical DEV-Sytem with python and test it there (Cluster with 1.9.2) with more extensive flows.

I will let you know here whether the test was successfully.

Bye!

Contributor

Glad it works. I just wrote the nifi template and the python script inside it. Thanks to the `nipyapi` module.

Master Collaborator

@Archon Gum

Hi, I was told Python 2.7.5 is already available on my DEV. Installed nipyapi and changed CommandPath in ExecuteStreamCommand. On execution this error happens:

108659-1557900281889.png
Question: Is it absolutely necessary having Python3.x or can you see another cause for this exception?

Thanks for your help and this solution!

Master Collaborator

Hi @Archon Gum
do you mind if I ask you one more time for your help?

I compared the bucket.py in Python37 (local) and Python275 (DEV-System with Cluster) but there is no difference.

Maybe you could give me a hint to solve this problem? Thanks!

Contributor

Hi

I tried but I can't reproduce it:

# 1. set identifier to None
nipyapi.versioning.get_registry_bucket(identifier=None, identifier_type='name')
# return: TypeError: 'in <string>' requires string as left operand, not NoneType

# 2. empty all bucket in nifi-registry and try to get bucket
nipyapi.versioning.get_registry_bucket(identifier='test', identifier_type='name')
# return: None

I can't reach the code in quote:

1. If nifi-registry has buckets, each bucket's name will set to this 'name' parameter and can not be None at all.

2. If nifi-registry is empty(no bucket), the code won't be executed (because return a empty list)

109074-1559183972253.png

My suggestions:

1. check `nipyapi.config.registry_config.host = 'http://your-server:18080/nifi-registry-api'`

2. try to use a new nifi-registry and run the code again to find out whether the error occurs. (I recommand using docker: https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/nifi-registry )

3. it seems python version is not the problem here.

Master Collaborator

Hi @Archon Gum

thank you so much for your answer and your efforts!

Refering to your suggestions:

1. I checked the information and it is correct. BUT when I test to acces the REST-API of registry in an InvokeHTTP-Processor I have to type https.

So I changed this in "nipyapi.config.registry_config.host" and ended up with an certification failure. Here a part of it:

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'X509_up_ref'
2019-06-04 05:40:24,709 WARNING Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",),)': /nifi-registry-api/buckets
2019-06-04 05:40:24,709 WARNING Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",),)': /nifi-registry-api/buckets
WARNING:urllib3.connectionpool:Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",),)': /nifi-registry-api/buckets
From cffi callback <function _verify_callback at 0x7f3a008085f0>

So I have to speak with the admin.

2. Because I'm not the "master of the installation" I can't do this just like that. But I will bear this in mind.

3. I agree.

If I get this work I will let you know. So long!