Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NiFi Tailfile - Unable to open file (squid access.log tutorial/runbook)

Explorer

I'm running the HCP run book, and the parallel tutorials.

Have the Squid file at the default location: /var/log/squid/access.log

Also, both NiFi and this squid log (squid server) are on the same host.

But I'm getting: Warning TailFile Unable to open file /var/log/squid/access.log; will attempt to access file again after the configured Yield Duration has elapsed: {}

Why is this happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mark Kotlyar

What are the permissions/owner of the access.log file and the directory path? The nifi user may not have permission to read the file?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Mark Kotlyar

What are the permissions/owner of the access.log file and the directory path? The nifi user may not have permission to read the file?

@Mark Kotlyar

Make sure the nifi user has access down the entire path of the file. Easy way to be sure, is to sudo as the nifi user and then see if you are able to access the file.

Ambari is in various stages of maturity. Some things are good to go, others are still being worked.

Explorer

Well, that was the first thing I checked.

It's not in front of me right now, but it was -rwx r-- --- and I changed that to -rwx r-- r--

So it should be able to get read by anyone. Or should I change the whole path permission?

Also, shouldn't these things be taken care of by the Ambari installation, or at least appear in the documentation, if indeed it is a permissions issue?

Explorer

Okay, that seems to have done the trick.

But now, I see in NiFi that data is moving from processor to processor, but nothing shows up in Storm or Metron UIs.
Weird.