Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Non-local session path expected to be non-null trying to write batch on Hive

Explorer

Greetings,

I'm currently using HDP 2.5 to get a working dataflow stack on a 6 node cluster (2 masters + 4 slaves, no Kerberos) using Kafka (2.10_0.10), Storm (1.0.1) and Hive2 (1.2.1). Storm (nimbus is on master-2) is able to communicate with Kafka (broker is on master-1), but can't seemingly operate on Hive (on master-1), even though it manages to connect to its metastore. For the Storm topology I'm using Trident APIs, here's what I'm using:

//HiveBolt
val mapper: DelimitedRecordHiveMapper =
  new DelimitedRecordHiveMapper()
    .withColumnFields(new Fields(colNames))
    .withTimeAsPartitionField("YYYY/MM/DD")
val hiveOptions: HiveOptions =
  new HiveOptions(metastore, dbName, tblName, mapper)
    .withTxnsPerBatch(10)
    .withBatchSize(1000)
    .withIdleTimeout(10)

//KafkaSpout
val spoutConf = new TridentKafkaConfig(zkHosts_2, "air_traffic")
spoutConf.scheme = new SchemeAsMultiScheme(new StringScheme())
val kafkaSpout = new OpaqueTridentKafkaSpout(spoutConf)

//Topology
val topology: TridentTopology = new TridentTopology
val factory: StateFactory = new HiveStateFactory().withOptions(hiveOptions)
val stream: trident.Stream = topology.newStream("jsonEmitter", kafkaSpout)
                              .each(new Fields("str"), new ParseJSON , new Fields(colNames))

stream.partitionPersist(factory, new Fields(colNames), new HiveUpdater(), new Fields()).parallelismHint(8)

I thought originally it was a problem of permissions on either HDFS or the local filesystem, but even though I set 777 permissions on /tmp/hive, there's still this issue.

In core-site.xml:

• hadoop.proxyuser.hcat.group
  • hadoop.proxyuser.hcat.hosts

• hadoop.proxyuser.hdfs.groups

• hadoop.proxyuser.hdfs.hosts

• hadoop.proxyuser.hive.groups

• hadoop.proxyuser.hive.hosts

• hadoop.proxyuser.root.groups

• hadoop.proxyuser.root.hosts

are all set to '*'.

Hive2, as far as I see is correctly set to work with transactions, being the target table with transactional=true, stored as orc and bucketed. In the hive-site.xml:

• hive.compactor.worker.threads = 1
  • hive.compactor.initiator.on = true
  • hive.txn.manager = org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DbTxnManager

Here's the stacktrace:

2017-07-08 10:02:36.896 o.a.s.h.t.HiveState [INFO] Creating Writer to Hive end point : {metaStoreUri='thrift://master-1.localdomain:9083,thrift://master-2.localdomain:9083', database='data_stream', table='air_traffic_test', partitionVals=[2017/07/189] }
2017-07-08 10:02:36.911 h.metastore [INFO] Trying to connect to metastore with URI thrift://master-1.localdomain:9083
2017-07-08 10:02:36.912 h.metastore [INFO] Connected to metastore.
2017-07-08 10:02:36.923 o.a.h.h.q.l.PerfLogger [INFO] <PERFLOG method=Driver.run from=org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver>
2017-07-08 10:02:36.923 o.a.h.h.q.l.PerfLogger [INFO] <PERFLOG method=TimeToSubmit from=org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver>
2017-07-08 10:02:36.923 o.a.h.h.q.l.PerfLogger [INFO] <PERFLOG method=compile from=org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver>
2017-07-08 10:02:36.923 STDIO [ERROR] FAILED: NullPointerException Non-local session path expected to be non-null
2017-07-08 10:02:36.923 o.a.h.h.q.Driver [ERROR] FAILED: NullPointerException Non-local session path expected to be non-null
java.lang.NullPointerException: Non-local session path expected to be non-null
	at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:229)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.getHDFSSessionPath(SessionState.java:590)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Context.<init>(Context.java:129)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Context.<init>(Context.java:116)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compile(Driver.java:382)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compile(Driver.java:303)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compileInternal(Driver.java:1067)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.runInternal(Driver.java:1129)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:1004)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:994)
	at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.streaming.HiveEndPoint$ConnectionImpl.runDDL(HiveEndPoint.java:404)
	at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.streaming.HiveEndPoint$ConnectionImpl.createPartitionIfNotExists(HiveEndPoint.java:369)
	at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.streaming.HiveEndPoint$ConnectionImpl.<init>(HiveEndPoint.java:276)
	at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.streaming.HiveEndPoint$ConnectionImpl.<init>(HiveEndPoint.java:243)
	at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.streaming.HiveEndPoint.newConnectionImpl(HiveEndPoint.java:180)
	at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.streaming.HiveEndPoint.newConnection(HiveEndPoint.java:157)
	at org.apache.storm.hive.common.HiveWriter$5.call(HiveWriter.java:238)
	at org.apache.storm.hive.common.HiveWriter$5.call(HiveWriter.java:235)
	at org.apache.storm.hive.common.HiveWriter$9.call(HiveWriter.java:366)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

2017-07-08 10:02:36.923 o.a.h.h.q.l.PerfLogger [INFO] </PERFLOG method=compile start=1499504556923 end=1499504556923 duration=0 from=org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver>
2017-07-08 10:02:36.924 o.a.s.h.t.HiveState [WARN] hive streaming failed.
java.lang.NullPointerException

From what I can gather, the NullpointerException is thrown in the following method inside SessionState:

public static Path getHDFSSessionPath(Configuration conf) {  
	SessionState ss = SessionState.get();  
	if (ss == null) {  
		String sessionPathString = conf.get(HDFS_SESSION_PATH_KEY);  
		Preconditions.checkNotNull(sessionPathString,  "Conf non-local session path expected to be non-null");  
		return new Path(sessionPathString);  
	}  
	Preconditions.checkNotNull(ss.hdfsSessionPath,  "Non-local session path expected to be non-null");  
	return ss.hdfsSessionPath;
}

Specifically, by:

Preconditions.checkNotNull(ss.hdfsSessionPath, "Non-local session path expected to be non-null");

So, it seems to be an hdfs related issue, but I can't understand why it's happening.

I hope someone can help me, I'll update the post with more information if needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Apparently that was really a jar dependencies issue. Even though I'm using HDP 2.5.5, so I'm not sure what @Sindhu describes applies to me, it turns out that the tag versioning applied to Hortonworks jars was the only factor causing this kind of issue.

As a matter of fact, I was bundling in the jar submitted to storm the dependencies without the "-157" (while using the correct major, minor and hotfix versions), which can be found on mavencentral. In order to get everything working I had to use the dependencies from http://nexus-private.hortonworks.com/nexus/content/groups/public/ , since I couldn't find them on http://repo.hortonworks.com/content/repositories/releases/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Federico D'Ambrosio

The original error looks to be caused by a lib mismatch where storm-hive is set to use 0.9.0 ( https://github.com/hortonworks/storm-release/blob/HDP-2.5.3.0-tag/external/storm-hive/pom.xml ) when I think it should be set to the thrift.version variable from the parent storm-release pom (https://github.com/hortonworks/storm-release/blob/HDP-2.5.3.0-tag/pom.xml).

This issue is addressed in HDP 2.5.5 and HDP 2.6.1.

Explorer

Apparently that was really a jar dependencies issue. Even though I'm using HDP 2.5.5, so I'm not sure what @Sindhu describes applies to me, it turns out that the tag versioning applied to Hortonworks jars was the only factor causing this kind of issue.

As a matter of fact, I was bundling in the jar submitted to storm the dependencies without the "-157" (while using the correct major, minor and hotfix versions), which can be found on mavencentral. In order to get everything working I had to use the dependencies from http://nexus-private.hortonworks.com/nexus/content/groups/public/ , since I couldn't find them on http://repo.hortonworks.com/content/repositories/releases/