Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Not able to format Namenode

Contributor

Hi All,

We were experiencing issue with 4 of data nodes which were not sending the block reports to name node. In order to resolve that issue, we have formatted all the data node dirs for all the data nodes and decommissioned and recommissioned the data nodes.Also deleted all the data from hdfs. when I am trying to format the name node. I am getting below error.

18/06/26 16:32:05 WARN namenode.NameNode: Encountered exception during format:
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumException: Unable to check if JNs are ready for formatting. 1 exceptions thrown:
10.217.99.13:8485: Cannot lock storage /hadoop/hdfs/journal/HDPDRHA. The directory is already locked
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage$StorageDirectory.lock(Storage.java:743)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage$StorageDirectory.analyzeStorage(Storage.java:551)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage$StorageDirectory.analyzeStorage(Storage.java:502)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JNStorage.analyzeAndRecoverStorage(JNStorage.java:227)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JNStorage.<init>(JNStorage.java:76)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.Journal.<init>(Journal.java:143)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JournalNode.getOrCreateJournal(JournalNode.java:90)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JournalNode.getOrCreateJournal(JournalNode.java:99)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JournalNodeRpcServer.isFormatted(JournalNodeRpcServer.java:120)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.protocolPB.QJournalProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.isFormatted(QJournalProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:103)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.protocol.QJournalProtocolProtos$QJournalProtocolService$2.callBlockingMethod(QJournalProtocolProtos.java:25399)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:640)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:982)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2351)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2347)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1866)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2345)

at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumException.create(QuorumException.java:81)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumCall.rethrowException(QuorumCall.java:223)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumJournalManager.hasSomeData(QuorumJournalManager.java:232)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage.confirmFormat(Storage.java:965)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.confirmFormat(FSImage.java:179)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.format(NameNode.java:1185)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1631)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1769)
18/06/26 16:32:05 ERROR namenode.NameNode: Failed to start namenode.
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumException: Unable to check if JNs are ready for formatting. 1 exceptions thrown:
10.217.99.13:8485: Cannot lock storage /hadoop/hdfs/journal/HDPDRHA. The directory is already locked
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage$StorageDirectory.lock(Storage.java:743)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage$StorageDirectory.analyzeStorage(Storage.java:551)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage$StorageDirectory.analyzeStorage(Storage.java:502)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JNStorage.analyzeAndRecoverStorage(JNStorage.java:227)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JNStorage.<init>(JNStorage.java:76)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.Journal.<init>(Journal.java:143)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JournalNode.getOrCreateJournal(JournalNode.java:90)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JournalNode.getOrCreateJournal(JournalNode.java:99)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.server.JournalNodeRpcServer.isFormatted(JournalNodeRpcServer.java:120)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.protocolPB.QJournalProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.isFormatted(QJournalProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:103)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.protocol.QJournalProtocolProtos$QJournalProtocolService$2.callBlockingMethod(QJournalProtocolProtos.java:25399)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:640)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:982)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2351)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2347)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1866)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2345)

at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumException.create(QuorumException.java:81)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumCall.rethrowException(QuorumCall.java:223)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.qjournal.client.QuorumJournalManager.hasSomeData(QuorumJournalManager.java:232)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage.confirmFormat(Storage.java:965)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.confirmFormat(FSImage.java:179)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.format(NameNode.java:1185)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1631)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1769)
18/06/26 16:32:05 INFO util.ExitUtil: Exiting with status 1
18/06/26 16:32:05 INFO namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG:

I stopped both name nodes ,only journal nodes are online when executing below command.

hadoop namenode -format

Any idea why I am getting above error?.. Thank you so much for your assistance on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot, Today, I have managed to format namenode successfully. One of the journal node's meta data was not in sync with other two journal nodes. That 's the reason problematic journal node was getting locked every time when I was trying to format the name node. After copying data from good journal node's directory to problematic journal node 's directory,allowed me to format namenode. I also deleted in_use.lock files from all 3 journal nodes before executing hdfs namenode -format command.

Thank you so much for your assistance on this.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Master Mentor

@Samant Thakur

Please shutdown on the journalnodes there seem to be an in_use.lock file and restart and retry the format

Contributor

Thank you so much @Geoffrey Shelton Okot for your assistance as always.

I have restarted journal nodes but it did not help. Would it be nice if I delete all the the journal nodes and re add them again or completely delete hdfs services and install namenode and datanodes from scratch?

Please advise if you have any other better way to solve this issue?

Master Mentor

@Samant Thakur

Did you remove the in_use.lock and restart the namenodes? How many journalnodes and zookeepers do have in your cluster?

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot, I have got 3 journal nodes and 3 zookeepers. I have removed the locks file & ran hdfs namenode -format. I noticed that in_use.lock file is being created by the namenode -format command.

Master Mentor

@Samant Thakur

Was the format successful?

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot, Today, I have managed to format namenode successfully. One of the journal node's meta data was not in sync with other two journal nodes. That 's the reason problematic journal node was getting locked every time when I was trying to format the name node. After copying data from good journal node's directory to problematic journal node 's directory,allowed me to format namenode. I also deleted in_use.lock files from all 3 journal nodes before executing hdfs namenode -format command.

Thank you so much for your assistance on this.

Master Mentor

@Samant Thakur

Good to know,give yourself the points then close this thread.