Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

OSIPI Nifi integration

Rising Star

Hi Team,

what are the best practices to get data from OSIPI systems into nifi both batch and streaming ways.. please point out me if any documentation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

When we are requested to retrieve data from an OSI PI System for long term storage or further processing/analytics.

Batch files are the easiest way to get data out of the OSI PI System. Batch files can be created via Excel or VB using data link connector or via the PI SDK.Batch data exports from OSI can also be generated via the OSI provided executable. These various components provide an interface into the PI data archive storage mechanism and exposes tables, tags and values.

While using batch files for loading PI Archive data into other systems is reliable it is cumbersome to maintain, because changes in data model mean changes to scripts, file formats and client interfaces.

OSI provides a JDBC interface that a programmatic mechanism for interfacing with the OSI data archive.However there is very little information available for performance of the JDBC connection for large datasets. Since the OSI System is usually considered critical infrastructure and understanding the performance implication of an interface technique is necessary for production deployments.

The last option I will call out is OSI's BI Integrator which can forward data from the PI database into Hive periodically. I have no experience with this particular method.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Rising Star

When we are requested to retrieve data from an OSI PI System for long term storage or further processing/analytics.

Batch files are the easiest way to get data out of the OSI PI System. Batch files can be created via Excel or VB using data link connector or via the PI SDK.Batch data exports from OSI can also be generated via the OSI provided executable. These various components provide an interface into the PI data archive storage mechanism and exposes tables, tags and values.

While using batch files for loading PI Archive data into other systems is reliable it is cumbersome to maintain, because changes in data model mean changes to scripts, file formats and client interfaces.

OSI provides a JDBC interface that a programmatic mechanism for interfacing with the OSI data archive.However there is very little information available for performance of the JDBC connection for large datasets. Since the OSI System is usually considered critical infrastructure and understanding the performance implication of an interface technique is necessary for production deployments.

The last option I will call out is OSI's BI Integrator which can forward data from the PI database into Hive periodically. I have no experience with this particular method.