Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Old Cloudera VirtualBox

New Contributor

I am trying to download a VirtualBox in Cloudera. I cannot find it. I went to this link  https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-7-x/topics/quickstart_vm_administrative_informa... and it is showing no download for the VirtualBox. After I spent some minutes, I found the following paragraph:

Downloading a Cloudera QuickStart VM
Cloudera QuickStart VMs are available as Zip archives in VMware, KVM, and VirtualBox formats. Cloudera recommends that you use 7-Zip to extract these files, when possible. (7-Zip performs well with large files.) To download the latest VM in the required format, see Cloudera QuickStart VM Download.

When I click the above link is opening to this link: https://www.cloudera.com/downloads/cdp-private-cloud-trial.html  I cannot find any VirtualBox or Virtual Machines to download it. I am wondering if Clouder is not offering any more VirtualBox. I am trying to get the virtual machine. The research that I made, the new link of Clouder is totally different and I am not going anywhere. 

1 REPLY 1

Hi @miguelbda21 

When I click the first hyperlink you provided, I get an HTTP 404 error. I do not see the text you quoted:

Downloading a Cloudera QuickStart VM
Cloudera QuickStart VMs are available as Zip archives in VMware, KVM, and VirtualBox formats. Cloudera recommends that you use 7-Zip to extract these files, when possible. (7-Zip performs well with large files.) To download the latest VM in the required format, see Cloudera QuickStart VM Download.

…anywhere on that page, or indeed on any Cloudera downloads page.

Yes, Cloudera is no longer making the Cloudera Quickstart VM for VirtualBox (or any other virtualization platform, for that matter) available for download because it was old and outdated as it was based on CDH 5.13, which went out of support in the Fall of last year. The new, updated distribution from Cloudera for on-premises use is Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform.

There is extensive and thorough documentation on installing the CDP Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform (the "free trial" for which is available at the second hyperlink you provided) on a non-production environment for demonstration and proof-of-concept use cases. That version does not come "pre-packaged" for deployment on a VM platform such as VirtualBox, however.

One alternative you might consider if you're already familiar with Vagrant, is @carrossoni's community article outlining how to create a Centos7 CDP-DC Trial VM for sandbox/learning purposes, which is intended for use on VirtualBox.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.