Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Password for scp command

Expert Contributor

I am running Sandbox on VirtualBox within Windows 10.

When according to recommendation in "LEARNING THE ROPES OF THE HORTONWORKS SANDBOX" I issue the command

scp -P 2222 ~/Downloads/HDF-1.2.0.1-1.tar.gz root@localhost:/root

it asks for a password. But what password it expects? It looks like this is a different password from the one I setup using passwd command within Sandbox command shell as this password does not work for scp command

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Dmitry Otblesk scp expects the new password, i.e., the value to which you changed the root user's password using passwd.

Can you SSH successfully as root on port 2222 using the new password? Running scp -v will return more verbose output that could provide a clue. I think it is worth trying with the hosts entry change in my first answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Super Collaborator

@Dmitry Otblesk , you have to use the password for root user. The same password which you used when you did SSH to the terminal.

Expert Contributor

When I use this password (this is hadoop originally) I get the message that password expired. After I changed the password using passwd command within sandbox virtual machine the new password is not recognized by scp command. It looks like password expected by scp command and password controlled by passwd command are different passwords?

You may want to try adding 127.0.0.1 sandbox.hortonworks.com to /etc/hosts and retrying the scp command with sandbox.hortonworks.com instead of localhost

@Dmitry Otblesk scp expects the new password, i.e., the value to which you changed the root user's password using passwd.

Can you SSH successfully as root on port 2222 using the new password? Running scp -v will return more verbose output that could provide a clue. I think it is worth trying with the hosts entry change in my first answer as well.

Expert Contributor

Apparently, as per your explanations within my different post, one password was for virtual machine and another was for docker within this virtual machine

Got it, thanks for the follow-up.