Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Pig job keeps running without progress

New Contributor

I'm running Hortonworks version 2.3.2 on VirtualBox, just following dadoop tutorial: how to process data with apache pig (http://zh.hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/how-to-process-data-with-apache-pig/).

Have uploaded batter.csv file to the exact location as per the instruction, and just executed the simplest load Pig statement: batting = LOAD 'Batting.csv' USING PigStorage(',');

The job starts running, but never proceeds. Tried to kill the job, cannot either.

Could anyone please give me some hint of the possible problem.

Used to run the same tutorial last year on the older version successfully.

2346-3.png

2347-2.png

2348-1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Olivia Shen

Couple of things to check

1) MapReduce - there is alert in your screenshot. Make sure that Core services are up

2) Another job is consuming all the cluster resources

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor

Your mapreduce service is down or execute in pig ambari view with tez, check the box for tez. Start the mapreduce2 service first

Master Mentor
@Olivia Shen

Couple of things to check

1) MapReduce - there is alert in your screenshot. Make sure that Core services are up

2) Another job is consuming all the cluster resources

Master Mentor

New Contributor

Thank you for the link to the thread. I switched to another PC that is more powerful, then problem solved. I guess this was because the cluster was busy

Master Mentor
@Olivia Shen

Please accept the best answer to close the thread.

Super Collaborator

What is the Status of application started by pig script. You can view it onYarn->ResourceManager UI.