Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Rack topology script not working ERROR: script /etc/hadoop/conf/topology.sh returned 0 values when 1

Explorer

Hi,

I have written my own topology script and made required configuration in cloudera manager>hdfs>configurations>net.topology.script.file.name property. But the rack topology is not updated and could see ERROR in namenode log as "script /etc/hadoop/conf/topology.sh returned 0 values when 1 were expected.". Please help to resolve the issue. 

topology.sh

#!/bin/bash

nodearg=$1  #get the first argument

while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do

for line in `cat topology.data`;  do  #read line from topology.data file

node=$(echo $line|awk -F ',' '{print $1}')   #parse the data and get the hostname to compare

result=""

if [ $nodearg = $node ]; then          #compare the hostname in the file with the argument

result=$(echo $line|awk -F ','  '{print $2}')  #parse the file again to recive the rack details for the host

break;

else

result="/default/rack-0"

fi

done

shift

echo $result

done

topology.data

hdp-1.hdp.com,/default/rack-1

hdp-2.hdp.com,/default/rack-2

hdp-3.hdp.com,/default/rack-3

19.1.0.13,/default/rack-1

19.1.0.14,/default/rack-2

19.1.0.15,/default/rack-3

Output:

$ ./topology.sh hdp-1. hdp.com

/default/rack-1

$ ./topology.sh 19.1.0.14

/default/rack-2

Thanks and regards

Sidharth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your response and help.

Everytime i make changes in configs it re-deploy the configurations which was deleting my topology script. So i pushed my script to /mnt/topology/ directory and also tweak the script a bit

It look like below now 

topology.sh

#!/bin/bash

while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do

for line in `cat /mnt/topology/topology.data`;  do  #read line from topology.data file

node=$(echo $line|awk -F ',' '{print $1}')   #parse the data and get the hostname to compare

result=""

if [ $nodearg = $node ]; then          #compare the hostname in the file with the argument

result=$(echo $line|awk -F ','  '{print $2}')  #parse the file again to recive the rack details for the host

break;

else

result="/default/rack-0"

fi

done

shift

echo $result

done

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

The first explanation could be that the script is called without argument maybe?

Explorer
So, in that case it will satisfy the first if condition. Do you know how
hadoop invoke topology script? I mean the parameters it passes along with
script file.

Master Guru

Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your response and help.

Everytime i make changes in configs it re-deploy the configurations which was deleting my topology script. So i pushed my script to /mnt/topology/ directory and also tweak the script a bit

It look like below now 

topology.sh

#!/bin/bash

while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do

for line in `cat /mnt/topology/topology.data`;  do  #read line from topology.data file

result=""

break;

else

result="/default/rack-0"

fi

done

shift

echo $result

done

Master Guru

@sid2707,

Very cool and thanks for sharing your solution!

Master Guru

@sid2707,

Sounds like you may need to add some debugging to your shell script to identify what values are being evaluated and why no results are being returned.