Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Ranger Admin UI does not open from Quick links

Highlighted

Ranger Admin UI does not open from Quick links

New Contributor

Hi,

I am new to Hbase and Ambari. I am exploring options for user authentication in phoenix via Rangers services.Right now I am stuck with Ranger admin UI which is not opening even though the port 6080 is open.

Steps:

1. Created test ambari cluster, with one master, one zookeeper, one node.

2. Installed Ranger services through ambari UI

3. Set up mysql in master where Rangers services are installed

4. Created Ranger user and ranger database in mysql

Right now , trying to open the Ranger Admin UI from quick links which opens at `http://<masters-hostname>:6080` , but the page does not open (Have stopped the firewall to test if it works, but no luck) says "Site cant be reached, <hostname> is taking too long time to respond". I have checked logs in /var/log/ranger/admin/xa_portal.log . I dont see any error in logs, only below warn i can see.

WARN  org.apache.hadoop.fs.ChecksumFileSystem$ChecksumFSInputChecker (ChecksumFileSystem.java:165) - Problem opening checksum file: file:/etc/ranger/admin/rangeradmin.jceks.  Ignoring exception:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /etc/ranger/admin/.rangeradmin.jceks.crc (Permission denied)

Could anybody please help me on this issue.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ranger Admin UI does not open from Quick links

Super Mentor

@Swetha Nelwad

You might be hitting this issue [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RANGER-1073 , Please let us know which version of HDP/Ranger are you using?

Please check if the mentioned file exist and has the following permission (group as "hadoop"):

# ls -lart /etc/ranger/admin/.rangeradmin.jceks.crc
-rw-r----- 1 knox hadoop 16 Apr 19 18:46 /etc/ranger/admin/.rangeradmin.jceks.crc

For Ranger SSL setup you might want to refer:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.2/bk_security/content/configure_ambari_ranger...

New Contributor

@Jay SenSharma versions: HDP-2.5.3.0 and Ranger: 0.6.0

and for the permissions i got as below:

# ls -lart /etc/ranger/admin/.rangeradmin.jceks.crc
-rw-r----- 1 root root 12 Oct 17 09:30 /etc/ranger/admin/.rangeradmin.jceks.cr

Super Mentor

@Swetha Nelwad

Actually the mentioned lines from the "xa_portal.log" are WARNING messages (Not Error) and can be ignored. That should not cause the Ranger failure.

Do you see any additional error in your ranger logs?

Also can you please check if the port 6080 is opened on the host where Ranger is running?

# netstat -tnlpa | grep 608

And also please check if the Hostname (Ranger Admin Hostname) is resolving from the machine where you are trying to open the Ranger Admin UI and the port is accessible form the machine where the browser is opened? Following test is to isolate any Network/Firewall Issue.

# nc -v $RANGER_HOST   6080
(OR)
# telnet $RANGER_HOST   6080

New Contributor

@Jay SenSharma Hi Jay, I did not find any errors in the ranger logs. And netstat -tnlpa | grep 6080 did not return any output.

Also I tried do telnet from the machine where the browser is opened i,e my local, it says

# telnet $RANGER_HOST   6080 
Connecting To 10.193.5.45...Could not open connection to the host, on port 6080: Connect failed 

I actually, tried to ping from my local to those Linux VMs (Ambari, Host, Zookeeper, Node) it says Request timed out, even though all VMs are up and running. Is it related to my local system's firewall issue ?

Super Mentor

@Swetha Nelwad

Apologies for late response on this thread.

As we see that the Ranger port 6080 is not opened yet so it may be either a firewall issue which is blocking the Port access (OR) it may be due to some Ranger issue that the port is not getting opened, In that case looking at the ranger logs will help.

It is not QuickLinks issue.