Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger KMS for HDFS Transparent Data Encryption: Switching KMS Keys

Expert Contributor

Customer would like to know if they are able to switch the keys which are stored in the KMS without re-encrypting HDFS data? I believe this may also be referred to as the EEK (Encrypted Encryption Key)?

Documentation here

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Yes you will be able to rollover the Encryption Zone Key (EZKey). EZKey is used to encrypt the key used to encrypt the data/file. There is one active EZ key per encryption zone. You can rollover the EZKey as needed and new EEK (File Keys) will be encrypted with the new key. However file/data keys encrypted with older keys will not be rekeyed. Since the EZKeys are versioned, older EEK will be decrypted with appropriate version. So everything works seamlessly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rising Star

Yes you will be able to rollover the Encryption Zone Key (EZKey). EZKey is used to encrypt the key used to encrypt the data/file. There is one active EZ key per encryption zone. You can rollover the EZKey as needed and new EEK (File Keys) will be encrypted with the new key. However file/data keys encrypted with older keys will not be rekeyed. Since the EZKeys are versioned, older EEK will be decrypted with appropriate version. So everything works seamlessly.

Contributor

I have installed ranger and ranger kms and setup all the configurations and everything is working fine.

I have created encryption zone in hdfs and in the policy i have mentioned two users(user 1 and user 2) to access this encryption zone, they are able to access this encryption zone . I want to set permissions to encryption zone in such a way that user1 should have read and write access and user 2 should have only read access?how can we define this ?