Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger doesn't recognize HDFS and Hive

New Contributor

I am trying to use Ranger for Authorization with Hive and HDFS. But somehow Ranger doesn't recognize Hive or HDFS. I don't see the default policies in Ranger for Hive and HDFS. I activated the Ranger Plugins for Hive and HDFS and checked the Advanced ranger-hive-plugin-properties and Advanced ranger-hdfs-plugin-properties. For me everything seems fine, but the services don't appear in Ranger. I also activated Ranger as authorization method for Hive. But that also didn't help
This is how my configuration looks:
Ranger Services:
Ranger Services.JPG

Ranger Plugins:
Ranger plugin conf.JPG

Advanced ranger-hdfs-plugin-properties.

advanced hdfs plugin.JPG

Advanced ranger-hive-plugin-properties

advanced hive plugin.JPG

What am I missing here? I would be happy about hints!
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi @Caranthir 

1. Can you try disabling and enabling the plugin again ? While you enable the plugin it adds/modifies below properties -
    img1.png
    Can you check if those properties are set properly after you enable ranger plugin for hdfs again?
  2. Also as already mentioned by @Shelton the repository config user must be configured if you are working in kerberized environment.
  3. If still you are not able to see the repository in Ranger UI then you can click on add symbol as shown below to add repository manually -
    img2.PNG
    You can specify details of namenode and other and "test connection"
  4. Monitor the logs of ranger and namenode while you test connection. If connection fails you can see errors in logs.

Please post for further updates.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Mentor

@Caranthir 

I came across this have you seen this document additional Ranger Plugin Configuration Steps for Kerberos Clusters if you are running HDP 3.1.4 on the same page you will also find some specific configs for hive.

You will need to create a Kerberos principal and the below values are different with your screenshot

HDFS Plugin.PNG

Values to Change

•  Ranger service config user
  • Ranger service config password

For hive

HIVE Plugin.PNG

The above steps are for HDP 3.1.4 

Hope that helps

Expert Contributor

Hi @Caranthir 

1. Can you try disabling and enabling the plugin again ? While you enable the plugin it adds/modifies below properties -
    img1.png
    Can you check if those properties are set properly after you enable ranger plugin for hdfs again?
  2. Also as already mentioned by @Shelton the repository config user must be configured if you are working in kerberized environment.
  3. If still you are not able to see the repository in Ranger UI then you can click on add symbol as shown below to add repository manually -
    img2.PNG
    You can specify details of namenode and other and "test connection"
  4. Monitor the logs of ranger and namenode while you test connection. If connection fails you can see errors in logs.

Please post for further updates.

New Contributor

Thanks for the answers. I don't use Kerberos. Adding the services manually to Ranger worked out. It can connect successfully. I don't know why it didn't add the services automatically to Ranger. Anyway my problem is solved.