Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Recommendations for max number of deployments / clusters director should manage

SOLVED Go to solution

Recommendations for max number of deployments / clusters director should manage

Expert Contributor

Assuming the latest version of Altus Director... are there any documentated recommendations for the number of deployments/clusters that Director can reasonbly be expected to manage?

Our clusters are less than 21 nodes each and our Director server is running on an EC2 instance with 8 cores and 60GB of RAM and I have a dedicated RDS MariaDB DB sized at 2 cores and 16GB of RAM with 200GB of storage.  Thus far I'm managing around 14 clusters from ranging in size from 9 to 20 nodes.  No issues thus far.  I'm just curious if there is general guidance around this subject.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Recommendations for max number of deployments / clusters director should manage

Expert Contributor

dturner,

We don't have any documented recommendations for the max deployments or clusters. Anecdotally, I've heard of 100+ clusters. Director does the most work when bootstrapping/updating/terminating clusters and less when just monitoring clusters. 

You are also running on a way larger instance than we usually use so I bet there's room for some tuning if you do run into issues (e.g., increasing memory, threadpools, etc).

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Recommendations for max number of deployments / clusters director should manage

Expert Contributor

dturner,

We don't have any documented recommendations for the max deployments or clusters. Anecdotally, I've heard of 100+ clusters. Director does the most work when bootstrapping/updating/terminating clusters and less when just monitoring clusters. 

You are also running on a way larger instance than we usually use so I bet there's room for some tuning if you do run into issues (e.g., increasing memory, threadpools, etc).

Expert Contributor

Thank you for the response.

To your point about bootstrapping/terminating - I have noticed during testing when I'm cycling through many bootstrapping / terminations that Director can get into a state where it seems to no longer respond to bootstrapping requests (from command line).    I'll typically let Director "cool down" for a few minutes and retry.  

Explorer

From experience Director will really lag as you scale higher up. We are at 5 environments with about 40 deployments spanning thousand of nodes.

Make sure you go into application.properties and increase the amount of threads for tasks. That really makes a difference from what I've been seeing.