Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Region servers frequently failing wit NullPointerException

Solved Go to solution

Region servers frequently failing wit NullPointerException

Contributor

I am running a cluster with HDP 2.4.2 and HBase 1.1.2. I frequently (about once a day) have region server failure, and sometimes this involves a number of servers failing. I have looked in the logs, and a common cause of failure is the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.getOldestHfileTs(HRegion.java:1633)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.createRegionLoad(HRegionServer.java:1465)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.buildServerLoad(HRegionServer.java:1189)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.tryRegionServerReport(HRegionServer.java:1132)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:949)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

This seems to be related to the following JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14798. This does provide a patch as far back as 1.1.4, but since we're using 1.1.2 the patch does not apply to my version. Does anybody know how I can avoid or fix this problem on this version of HBase? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Region servers frequently failing wit NullPointerException

Please consider upgrading to HDP-2.4.3. This issue was fixed in that release (as well as HDP-2.3.6).

2 REPLIES 2

Please consider upgrading to HDP-2.4.3. This issue was fixed in that release (as well as HDP-2.3.6).

Contributor

Thanks for the info. I've spoken to my manager, we're going to upgrade to 2.4.3