Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Removing CDH-5.10 RPMs after upgrading to Parcels via the CM 5.10 UI ...

Contributor

Hello Friends:

First some configuration information ...

-- CDH and CM-Express versions: v5.10
-- O/S Dist and version: CentOS-6.8 Final

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Six (qty. 6) nodes (actually LXC containers on one physical server:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[vps00]...........: The "master" for all services
[vps01 - vps04]...: The "workers" for all services
[vps10]...........: Where Cloudera Manager is installed.

Via Cloudera Manager, I upgraded from RPMs to Parcels.

Being 100% comfortable with RPMs and YUM, I didn't necessarily want to do this; but no alternative was provided to obtain Spark v2 RPMs.

Each of the six servers is identical in terms of the CDH5.10 RPMs installed, so issuing the folllowing command on any of them return the same list of 110 CDH5.10 RPMs:

user@vps$ rpm -qa | grep cdh5

Questions:

• Having successfully upgraded to Parcels (so claims the CM UI), can I now remove all 110 CDH5 RPM from those six servers?

• Will doing so remove critical configurations in /etc/<service-type>/conf (and configurations elsewhere)?

• What about the Unix start/stop scripts, chkconfig-on configurations, etc? Will they be removed or affected? If yes, did the Parcel upgrade install its own version of these entries?

Basically, when I reboot these systems after removing those RPMs, will everything still start and work?

Thank you in advance! =:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

So, I went for it and here are the answers (I found for myself) ...

Having successfully upgraded to Parcels (so claims the CM UI), can I now remove all 110 CDH5 RPM from those six servers?
YES. You can remove all RPMs except the ones named cloudera-manager-*.rpm. Those are still needed to start CM and manage the cluster. Very Good.

Will doing so remove critical configurations in /etc/<service-type>/conf (and configurations elsewhere)?
NO. Everything was preserved and still consulted by the Parcel-converted Cloudera Manager. Very Good.

What about the Unix start/stop scripts, chkconfig-on configurations, etc? Will they be removed or affected? If yes, did the Parcel upgrade install its own version of these entries?

BECAUSE, above, the 'cloudera-manager-*.rpm's were not removed, all Unix start/stop scrpts, chkconfig configurations, etc. were unaffected. Those RPM are what manage those items, and they were not removed. Very Good.

So everything went well. There will always be some post conversion prodding and tweaking to get things totally clean and plumbed -- and this instance was no different -- but overall things went pretty well.

I hope this helps others. =:)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Contributor

So, I went for it and here are the answers (I found for myself) ...

Having successfully upgraded to Parcels (so claims the CM UI), can I now remove all 110 CDH5 RPM from those six servers?
YES. You can remove all RPMs except the ones named cloudera-manager-*.rpm. Those are still needed to start CM and manage the cluster. Very Good.

Will doing so remove critical configurations in /etc/<service-type>/conf (and configurations elsewhere)?
NO. Everything was preserved and still consulted by the Parcel-converted Cloudera Manager. Very Good.

What about the Unix start/stop scripts, chkconfig-on configurations, etc? Will they be removed or affected? If yes, did the Parcel upgrade install its own version of these entries?

BECAUSE, above, the 'cloudera-manager-*.rpm's were not removed, all Unix start/stop scrpts, chkconfig configurations, etc. were unaffected. Those RPM are what manage those items, and they were not removed. Very Good.

So everything went well. There will always be some post conversion prodding and tweaking to get things totally clean and plumbed -- and this instance was no different -- but overall things went pretty well.

I hope this helps others. =:)