Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Removing Zookeeper on my Master Node via Yum Uninstalled Every Hadoop Related Program on my Cluster!

Contributor

I should have obviously double checked, but I was trying to get zookeeper off of my slave and one master nodes by issuing:

yum remove zookeeper

I just said yes without looking because I didn't figure this one command could wipe all Hadoop related processes from my nodes. Here is a sample of what happened:

yum uninstal zookeeper.png

Two questions:

Can I do anything to get my cluster back without a total reinstall?

Why does it do this in the first place?

When I removed HBase it didn't decide to remove all the other programs.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

You should be able to reinstall the packages via yum and be back in business.  Your data (at least HDFS) should not have been removed in this process.  yum will do this if the package you are trying to remove has dependencies.  I believe there are command-line options to tell it to forget about the dependencies.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Guru

You should be able to reinstall the packages via yum and be back in business.  Your data (at least HDFS) should not have been removed in this process.  yum will do this if the package you are trying to remove has dependencies.  I believe there are command-line options to tell it to forget about the dependencies.

Expert Contributor

Sorry to hear about the removal of other packages but Clint is exactly right. To pile on, zookeeper is a fairly fundamental component of the stack. For example, the hadoop package depends on zookeeper so removing zookeeper will remove hadoop and all other hadoop packages (which transitively depend on hadoop).

Like Clint said, the state is always stored on the system, so if you were to reinstall hadoop (and without doing any reformat of HDFS), you should be able to continue from where you left.

Contributor

Yep, reinstalling the components was as you two said, but I only needed to copy the config files that yum saved over the new config files. This was not a disaster.

What I should have done is only uninstall the zookeeper-server package, but I also uninstalled the zookeeper package.

Thanks!

Guru

Glad to hear it, thanks for the followup!