Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Run multiple NiFi versions in the same clusters?

Explorer

Hi,

is it possible to run multiple NiFi versions on the same nodes?

I would like to test out the new NiFi 1.2.0 release and still maintain my old NiFi cluster.

What are the config settings that need to be adjusted? Maybe an official "guide" to this would be great!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Hi,

as of today you can not have different NIFI versions within the same NIFI Cluster (managed by Zookeeper), however you can setup different and separated clusters since Nifi as well as Zookeper can be run multiple times on the same servers since you only have to copy them into different folders and separate the config-files (nifi.properties, zoo.cfg etc.), and set different data-dirs / provenance-dirs etc.

I would recommend to start with having two separated NIFI instances /opt/nifi1 and /opt/nifi2, each one with its own paths and ports configured in the nifi.properties file of each copy. And especially take care of the paths for

• content_repository
  • database_repository
  • flowfile_repository
  • provenance_repository
  • work directory
  • logs directory

This is often forgotten when copying a nifi instance 1 as a base to setup a second one. Just have a look at the parameters of the properties file.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star

Hi,

as of today you can not have different NIFI versions within the same NIFI Cluster (managed by Zookeeper), however you can setup different and separated clusters since Nifi as well as Zookeper can be run multiple times on the same servers since you only have to copy them into different folders and separate the config-files (nifi.properties, zoo.cfg etc.), and set different data-dirs / provenance-dirs etc.

I would recommend to start with having two separated NIFI instances /opt/nifi1 and /opt/nifi2, each one with its own paths and ports configured in the nifi.properties file of each copy. And especially take care of the paths for

• content_repository
  • database_repository
  • flowfile_repository
  • provenance_repository
  • work directory
  • logs directory

This is often forgotten when copying a nifi instance 1 as a base to setup a second one. Just have a look at the parameters of the properties file.

Hope that helps.

Super Mentor

Both your NiFi clusters can use teh same zookeeper, but you need to make sure each cluster is configured to use a different ZK root node. The root node is set in the nifi.properties file and the state-management.xml file.

Expert Contributor

I actually have a cluster with 2 nodes. One node is on version 1.4 where as the other node , I have just upgraded it to 1.5 however it doesn't seem to get onto the cluster . It just shows connecting and then it goes into a disconnected mode . I presumed you can run one node on one version and other node on another version @Peter Greiff can you please let me know whether this is possible or should I upgrade both nodes to 1.5 and then only it would work ?