Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Running NiFi process as a job on linux machine

Explorer

I have build a process on NiFi for windows where it lists SFTP from a linux machine, Fetchsftp for listed file and putsftp to another linux server. This process is running fine and all files are received on target server.

Now I wan to run this process as a cron job on a linux machine independent of NiFi which is running on windows machine in browser.

Can any body guide me how to configure linux machine to do this process as a job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Naeem Ullah Khan

I am not sure that i am completely clear on what you are trying to do...

-

"run this process as a cron job on a linux machine independent of NiFi"

-

Are you asking how to run these processors outside of a NiFi installation? If so, that is not possible.

The NiFi core (Controller) handles the scheduling and management of the resources (CPU, heap, repositories, etc...) NiFi flows can not be exported to independent running processes.

-

You can install NiFi on your linux server(s) and even configure the run schedule as a cron. You can also create a template of yoru flow on one NiFi, download it, and then import it in to another NiFi installation.

-

Thanks,

Matt

-

If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login to the forum and click "accept" on the answer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Mentor

@Naeem Ullah Khan

I am not sure that i am completely clear on what you are trying to do...

-

"run this process as a cron job on a linux machine independent of NiFi"

-

Are you asking how to run these processors outside of a NiFi installation? If so, that is not possible.

The NiFi core (Controller) handles the scheduling and management of the resources (CPU, heap, repositories, etc...) NiFi flows can not be exported to independent running processes.

-

You can install NiFi on your linux server(s) and even configure the run schedule as a cron. You can also create a template of yoru flow on one NiFi, download it, and then import it in to another NiFi installation.

-

Thanks,

Matt

-

If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login to the forum and click "accept" on the answer.

Super Mentor

@Naeem Ullah Khan

*** Forum tip: Try to avoid responding to an answer by starting a new answer. This makes following a single threaded discussion hard. Instead use the "add comment" on the answer you want to have open dialog.
-
NiFi will always have a GUI available no matter where you install it. The dataflows you build are not platform/OS specific so they can easily be moved from one NiFi to another.

-

The typical use case here is having a development environment where users develop and test their dataflows. These tested flows are then promoted to another Nifi that is secured to control access to the GUI by a very select number of users who are in charge of porting over tested flows form your test environments. The easiest way to do that is by using the NIFi Registry and version controlled flows.

-

https://nifi.apache.org/registry.html

-

Multiple NiFi installation (platform/OS) independent can be configured to talk to the same NiFi registry installation. You can then create your dataflows in the test environment and start version control on them. The version controlled flow is then written to the nifi registry where other authorized NiFi installation an see it. Those NiFi installations (production) can then import that versioned flow.

-

Nice part here is that if some future changes are made to that same version controlled flow in development, a new version can be version controlled. The production environment would then see that a newer version of a flow they are using is available and teh user can choose to upgrade to that latest version from the registry.

-

This allows you to continue your development work while a specific version state of that flow is actively running over in another NiFi installation.

-

Hope this addresses your question better.

-

Thank you,

Matt

-

Explorer

Thanks, it makes me clear and idea of NIFi Registry and version controlled flows is also good.

Explorer

Dear Matt,

Thanks for detailed answer, let me try to explain again:

Currently I am using NiFi on windows machine where I create a process in browser GUI and its running fine. I am curious about I keep building processes on GUI and find a mechanism where I can run finalized process independent of development environment (GUI) so that finished processes can run un-interrupted whichever is platform Windows or Linux. Because during process building there are many deletions, starts, stops and other activities in GUI.