Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

SQuirrel SQL Client can´t establish a session to Hive

Highlighted

SQuirrel SQL Client can´t establish a session to Hive

New Contributor

Hi, I´m trying to configure SQuirrel SQL Client to connect to Hive. Hive is running in a kerberized HDP cluster on RHEL. I have tested to add different Hive JDBC drivers but I cannot get SQuirrel to establish a successful SQL Connection. Currently I get the following error message in SQuirrel when I try to connect:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:org.apache.hadoop.hive.common.auth.HiveAuthUtils.getSocketTransport(Ljava/lang/String;II)Lorg/apache/hive/org/apache/thrift/transport/TTransport; at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection.createUnderlyingTransport(HiveConnection.java:548) at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection.createBinaryTransport(HiveConnection.java:568) at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection.openTransport(HiveConnection.java:337) at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection.<init>(HiveConnection.java:224) at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver.connect(HiveDriver.java:107) at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.sql.SQLDriverManager.getConnection(SQLDriverManager.java:133) at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.mainframe.action.OpenConnectionCommand.executeConnect(OpenConnectionCommand.java:167) at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.mainframe.action.OpenConnectionCommand.access$000(OpenConnectionCommand.java:45) at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.mainframe.action.OpenConnectionCommand$1.run(OpenConnectionCommand.java:104) at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

The connection URL´s that I have tested look like this: jdbc:hive2://<hostname>:10000/default;principal=hive/<hostname>@<REALM>;auth-kerberos

or

jdbc:hive2://<hostname>:10000/default

The software versions:

SQuirrel SQL Client (version 3.9.0)

HDP (version 3.0.1.0)

Hive (version 3.0.0.3.0)

It seems to be related to the JDBC driver. What .jar files and file versions should I use for the driver? Regards,

Staffan