Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Sandbox 2.4 Nifi connection refused

Contributor

I'm working through the Single View demo (on Ubuntu 15.10), so far so good, but I am now stuck at part 3. While in part 3, I've successfully installed NiFi (using Ambari), and am working through the steps in the ancillary tutorial 'Sample HDF/NiFi flow to Push Tweets into Solr/Banana, HDFS/Hive'. NiFi is up and running (at port 9090), as per the Ambari dashboard, but when I attempt to connect to http://sandbox.hortonworks.com:9090/nifi an error is thrown, stating "This site can't be reached sandbox.hortonworks.com refused to connect ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED'. I've restarted the HDP Sandbox, but NiFi is still refusing the connection request. I've substituted 127.0.0.1:9090 for the domain name, but this just throws the same error. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

I expect you just need to add a port forwarding rule to forward 9090 from your host to the VM.

Right Click the VM -> Settings -> Network -> Port Forwarding and validate a rule exists for 9090.

If that wasn't the issue, check /etc/hosts on your host to ensure there isn't an old sandbox entry in there.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Rising Star

I expect you just need to add a port forwarding rule to forward 9090 from your host to the VM.

Right Click the VM -> Settings -> Network -> Port Forwarding and validate a rule exists for 9090.

If that wasn't the issue, check /etc/hosts on your host to ensure there isn't an old sandbox entry in there.

Explorer

Can you provide instructions to forward port on HDF sandbox on Azure?

Contributor

First, by default port 9090 for the inbound connection is open for the Azure sandbox (among all the other ports that look like swiss cheese)

Set up a SSH tunnel that you will connect to NiFi through. This is assuming your are using the Resource Managed VMs. You need to replace the sandbox URL with your own. By default Azure does not give you the nice DNS name. You have to explicitly set this up as a property of the IP address (very annoying).

For a Mac in Terminal use this to set up your tunnel:

ssh -L 9090:sandbox.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com:9090 azureuser@sandbox.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com

For Windows:

Using Putty, Go to SSH -> Tunnels. Enter 9090 for Source Port and localhost:9090 for Destination Port. Don't forget to save the configuration.

Now just go to http://localhost:9090/nifi for any browser and enjoy!

If you are using 9090 locally, just change the destination to a unused port. On the nifi side you can change the port in the /conf/nifi.properties file.

You need to forward port 9090 for your VM, e.g. map 9090->9090 in VM network settings

Contributor

Spot on! My VirtualBox VM was mis-configured. I added the missing port forwarding rule for Ni-Fi. I'm able to proceed now. Thanks for your quick response.

Master Mentor

Pick the answer that helped you theost and accept it. Thank you

@Charles Clifford @zblanco

BTW, I think installing NiFi on the Sandbox is explain in the Sentiment Analysis tutorial:

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/how-to-refine-and-visualize-sentiment-data/#install-apache-ni...

Did you run into that issue following those instructions?

Rising Star

@Charles Clifford @zblanco

Yes, the Sentiment Analysis Tutorial covers installing Nifi on the Sandbox. It also covers port forwarding if the user is unable to connect to the web address " along with other steps to analyze, transform and visualize that twitter data.