Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Scheduling ExecuteStreamCommand processor with GenerateFlowFile to run every minute

Contributor

I want to use ExecuteStreamCommand to submit a spark job via the shell, and I want to use GenerateFlowFile so that I can detect the spark job failure and RouteOnAttribute as suggested by Matt's answer here.

I think it worked for detecting failure, but I can't make it scheduled correctly.

If i want the whole flow (generation of the flow file, the ExecuteStreamCommand and Routng) to be executed every 1 minute, should I schedule the GenerateFlowFile every 1 minute and leave the ExecuteStreamCommand as default (0 schedule) or should I schedule both.

I tried different combinations but it didn't work properly, I think the GenerateFlowFile keeps generating flow files but the ExecuteStreamCommand don't run multiple times.

another problem is that when I stop the ExecuteStreamCommand processor, it gets stuck, I can't change its configuration and I can't stop or start it again, It didn't work again until I restart NiFi.

Please help.

20 REPLIES 20

@Mahmoud Yusuf

I thought you said it was working with the ExecuteProcess processor?

If so, then you are able to move forward with flow design correct?

@Mahmoud Yusuf

Does the spark job generate a lot of output? Maybe you can suppress some of the output?

Contributor

@Wynner It's a spark job, it takes approx. 1 minute and it terminates when I run it outside NiFi. What's the problem ?

Contributor

The command is

spark-submit <path to jar>

Contributor

@Wynner I increased the concurrent tasks up to 3. but still having the same problem in different manner. If 3 tasks completed successfully it'll stuck.

It seems like 'Spark-submit' command isn't terminated, even if it's terminated and its output is present in the file system.
Do you know why this could happen?

Contributor

@Wynner
I figured out what is the problem, the spark job gets stuck when using "ExecuteStreamCommand" at some task,
When I run the same command from "ExecuteProcess" or from the shell myself the job terminates successfully.

I don't know what is the problem with "ExecuteStreamCommand"

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/135430/spark-job-gets-stuck-when-submitted-from-nifi.htm...

Contributor
@Wynner

please check my last comment, I figured more details of the problem, but it still exists.

Contributor

@Wynner

It works with executeProcess but I don't want to use this processor. I use ExecuteStreamCommand so that I can route on attribute to detect failure. unfortunately the job gets stuck with it.

New Contributor

I have the same problem on the ExecuteStreamProcess, which launch python code.

I don't understand if is a bug of Nifi 1.3.0 or not. @Mahmoud Yusuf Which version do you have?

I debug the Nifi logs( nifi-app.log, nifi-bootstrap.log and nifi-user.log ) but I haven't noticed strange things

How we can debug processor behavior?

New Contributor

If I try to Put in RUNNING state, with Nifi API REST, the stucked processor i get this response:

2017-10-27 08:50:43,749 INFO [NiFi Web Server-96840] o.a.n.w.a.c.IllegalStateExceptionMapper java.lang.IllegalStateException: 015e1005-8820-176e-f509-ca592def60b0 cannot be started because it is not stopped. Current state is STOPPING. Returning Conflict response.