Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Sentry doesn't seem to work with LDAP (CDH 5.3)

Rising Star

Dear fellow Hadoop users,

A couple of weeks ago we installed CDH 5.3 with LDAP authentication. Everything worked like a charm. Next, we turned on Sentry only to hit a road block. The hiveserver2 log shows the following message:

2015-01-14 14:23:17,267 ERROR org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.Operation: Error running hive query:
org.apache.hive.service.cli.HiveSQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. MetaException(message:Failed to load Hive binding hive.metastore.sasl.enabled can't be false in non-testing mode)

Not sure about what "non-testing mode" means. Keep in mind that sentry.hive.testing.mode is set to true. We also tried to use the hive.test.mode property to no avail.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Before I close this post, here is the solution... Add the sentry.hive.testing.mode property to the "Hive Service Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for sentry-site.xml" under the Hive service.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cloudera Employee

Have you set the testing mode in both HiveServer2 and Metastore safety valves ? Note that Sentry enforces same set of policies on HiveServer2 as well as Metastore.

thanks

Prasad

Rising Star

I tried that too with no success. 

Rising Star

Never mind... we just realized that the sentry.hive.testing.mode property had been set in the wrong place. It's working now!

Rising Star

Before I close this post, here is the solution... Add the sentry.hive.testing.mode property to the "Hive Service Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for sentry-site.xml" under the Hive service.