Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Setting within script hive.tez.container.size

Explorer

Ive always been under the impression that I can modify hive.tez.container.size for different queries within a hive script. For example: I set the container size to 2GB for small queries but increase it to 4GB for larger queries and then reset it back to 2GB for smaller queries.

Is this how it works? It appears that I can definitely change this value to increase the container size at different time but does reseting the value to a lower number actually cause smaller containers from that point in the script?

How can I tell what the container size for task was?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

hi @nfleming

The property can be set on a per session basis I believe. The Ambari Tez View shows the query run, and if you click on the config tab, you can see the Tez properties for that query.

27508-screen-shot-2017-08-16-at-13520-pm.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Guru

hi @nfleming

The property can be set on a per session basis I believe. The Ambari Tez View shows the query run, and if you click on the config tab, you can see the Tez properties for that query.

27508-screen-shot-2017-08-16-at-13520-pm.png

Explorer

Thanks for the response. Are you claiming that all properties can only be set once per session? What Im wondering is if the container size can be reduced after it has been increased within the SAME session. I know that I can increase it within the session but looking at the resource manager Im not sure if the subsequent decrease in container size occurs within the same session.

Guru

hi @nfleming

No I am not claiming that. You can change the property within the same session as you see fit.