Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Setup Ambari Infra Client with SOLR for Ranger correctly

Contributor

Hello Guys,

I just installed Ranger with an external mysql db and installed all Plugins. So far so good. My Cluster is kerberized.

During getting familiar with Ranger with Atlas, i got the error:

Unable to connect to Audit store !!

While reading it looks like that the Ranger Audit Store requires solr.

So i enabled the Ranger Audit with SOLR and added the URL of my SOLR Admin URL.

I got the solr infraclient installed and the SOLR Admin URL is working but it seems i dont have a so called "Solr Collection" which is called: ranger_audits.

Question1: Why is selecting HDFS as an Audit Store not enough? Why do i need SOLR too?

Question2: How do i create such a solr collection: ranger_audits. Why isn't that created by the Ranger Wizard itself?

Question3: Is Ambari Infra not enough? Do i need a fully blown SOLR Server?

Question4: Are there more manual steps i need to perform in advance to get SOLR <-> Audit Store <-> Ranger working?

The documentation is quite confusing.

Thanks in advance,

Normen

2 REPLIES 2

Normen Zoch

Question1: Why is selecting HDFS as an Audit Store not enough? Why do i need SOLR too?

>>>>>>

selecting HDFS as an Audit Store is enough, i think you have configured solr into ranger.audit.source.type. so audits are fetched from solr and since it is not able to connect to it it gives error.

if you want you can only configure HDFS and configure the same in ranger.audit.source.type , then it should work.

13709-screen-shot-2017-03-17-at-51036-pm.png

Question2: How do i create such a solr collection: ranger_audits. Why isn't that created by the Ranger Wizard itself?

&

Question4: Are there more manual steps i need to perform in advance to get SOLR <-> Audit Store <-> Ranger working?

>>>>

following reference should be helpful:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Install+and+Configure+Solr+for+Ranger+Audits+-+Ap...

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.0/bk_Ranger_Install_Guide/content/ch_install_...

Question3: Is Ambari Infra not enough? Do i need a fully blown SOLR Server?

>> yes ambari infra should be good enough , once you install ambari infra , keep External SolrCloud OFF , please see attached screenshot, and ranger will automatically pick zookeeper solr url.:

13710-screen-shot-2017-03-17-at-51730-pm.png

screen-shot-2017-03-17-at-51730-pm.png

Contributor

Thanks very much! Let me just dig into work.....