Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Should Apache Ranger be installed before kerberization or after?

Expert Contributor

Hello All,

I have an HDP 3.1 cluster that is neither kerberized nor it has ranger installed.

Now, I have a requirement to Kerberize it and also enable Role Based Access Control using Ranger.

1. Should I first go with Kerberization and then installation of Ranger or vice versa?

2. Any cautions to be taken with both of these approaches? 

3. Is there a requirement/recommended for implementing TLS/SSL for all the services while Kerberizing the cluster?

Thank You,

Megh Vidani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hello @vidanimegh 

Thanks for using Cloudera Community. To answer your query, 

(I) There is no dependency between the 2 Services with respect to which one should be installed first. If you have to pick, First Authenticate & then, Authorise i.e. Setup Kerberos first before installing Ranger. 

(II) Again, no caution required as there is no explicit dependency. 

(III) For HDP Stack, there is no requirement to enable TLS/SSL before Kerberos. Recommend to perform the Steps (Enabling Kerberos | Enabling Ranger | Enable TLS/SSL) via Ambari for easier management. 

Let us know if you have any further queries.

- Smarak

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Collaborator

Hello @vidanimegh 

Thanks for using Cloudera Community. To answer your query, 

(I) There is no dependency between the 2 Services with respect to which one should be installed first. If you have to pick, First Authenticate & then, Authorise i.e. Setup Kerberos first before installing Ranger. 

(II) Again, no caution required as there is no explicit dependency. 

(III) For HDP Stack, there is no requirement to enable TLS/SSL before Kerberos. Recommend to perform the Steps (Enabling Kerberos | Enabling Ranger | Enable TLS/SSL) via Ambari for easier management. 

Let us know if you have any further queries.

- Smarak

Expert Contributor

@smdas Thank you for the answer.