Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Spark2 Exception after upgrade to CDH 5.14.2 "when registering SparkListener"

New Contributor

Hi All,

Earlier I upgraded my development cluster from 5.13.0 to 5.14.2

All is working now apart from Spark2

When we try to run spark2-shell the following error occurs:

ERROR spark.SparkContext: Error initializing SparkContext.
org.apache.spark.SparkException: Exception when registering SparkListener
at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.setupAndStartListenerBus(SparkContext.scala:2364)
at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.<init>(SparkContext.scala:553)
at org.apache.spark.SparkContext$.getOrCreate(SparkContext.scala:2486)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession$Builder$$anonfun$7.apply(SparkSession.scala:930)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession$Builder$$anonfun$7.apply(SparkSession.scala:921)
at scala.Option.getOrElse(Option.scala:121)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession$Builder.getOrCreate(SparkSession.scala:921)
at org.apache.spark.repl.Main$.createSparkSession(Main.scala:103)
[...]
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Lineage directory /var/log/spark2/lineage doesn't exist or is not writable.
at com.cloudera.spark.lineage.LineageWriter$.checkLineageConfig(LineageWriter.scala:158)
at com.cloudera.spark.lineage.NavigatorAppListener.<init>(ClouderaNavigatorListener.scala:30)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
[...]

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Expert Contributor

Hi,

A bit trivial.. but

1/ Do you have the folder /var/log/spark2/lineage present on the Gateway instance of Spark2?

2/ is spark:spark listed as owner of said folder if it exist?

I have a similar issue (CDH 5.14.1 / Spark 2.3 - Issue appaered after Spark 2.3 got enabled) though Yarn  & workbench for which a case is open

In the meantime, I disabled Navigator Lineage from cloudera Manager (spark2 Configuration / config.navigator.lineage_enabled) which allowed my colleagues to work.

New Contributor

@ChrisV,

Where exactly did you disable Navigator Lineage in Cloudera Manager, I can't find that property under the configs tab in Spark. I'm using Cloudera express version 5.14.1 with a custom Spark install (Version-2.3).

Best,

Hobie

New Contributor
Lineage directory /var/log/spark2/lineage doesn't exist or is not writable.

Hi, 

As it says you can fix that by creating the formentioned folder and then doing 

# chown spark:spark /var/log/spark2/lineage

New Contributor
I was getting the same error. I solved it by creating the directory on all the machines. (In my case a 3 nodes cluster). So, please make sure that you have "/var/log/spark2/lineage" directory present on all the machines.

Also, the ownership should be as follows:
chown spark:spark /var/log/spark2/lineage

Explorer

Even easier, disable the listeners which generate the lineage files, by setting the following spark properties:

--conf spark.sql.queryExecutionListeners=""
--conf spark.extraListeners=""