Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

SparkR interpreter not found in Zeeplin

Highlighted

SparkR interpreter not found in Zeeplin

Contributor

Hi,

I am unable to execute SparkR in Zeeplin and I see below issue.

Can someone help me.

sparkr.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

Re: SparkR interpreter not found in Zeeplin

Contributor

Here is the error:

org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterException: spark.r interpreter not found at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterFactory.getInterpreter(InterpreterFactory.java:417) at org.apache.zeppelin.notebook.Note.run(Note.java:617) at org.apache.zeppelin.socket.NotebookServer.persistAndExecuteSingleParagraph(NotebookServer.java:1650) at org.apache.zeppelin.socket.NotebookServer.runParagraph(NotebookServer.java:1624) at org.apache.zeppelin.socket.NotebookServer.onMessage(NotebookServer.java:266) at org.apache.zeppelin.socket.NotebookSocket.onWebSocketText(NotebookSocket.java:59) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.events.JettyListenerEventDriver.onTextMessage(JettyListenerEventDriver.java:128) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.message.SimpleTextMessage.messageComplete(SimpleTextMessage.java:69) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.events.AbstractEventDriver.appendMessage(AbstractEventDriver.java:65) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.events.JettyListenerEventDriver.onTextFrame(JettyListenerEventDriver.java:122) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.events.AbstractEventDriver.incomingFrame(AbstractEventDriver.java:161) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.WebSocketSession.incomingFrame(WebSocketSession.java:309) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.extensions.ExtensionStack.incomingFrame(ExtensionStack.java:214) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.Parser.notifyFrame(Parser.java:220) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.Parser.parse(Parser.java:258) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.io.AbstractWebSocketConnection.readParse(AbstractWebSocketConnection.java:632) at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.common.io.AbstractWebSocketConnection.onFillable(AbstractWebSocketConnection.java:480) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:544) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

ERROR Took 0 sec. Last updated by at June 19 2018, 5:37:17 PM. (outdated)

@Sriram

Please make sure R is install following the steps described here:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.5/bk_spark-component-guide/content/ch_spark-r...

You can read more about sparkr interpreter here:

https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.6.2/interpreter/r.html

As per "spark.r interpreter not found" make sure you have spark interpreter installed and configured. And that you are using correct %<name> - For example, in my environment I only use spark2 hence I need to use interpreter %spark2.r instead of %spark.r (which fails with same error as yours) - You can check by clicking on top right drop down menu next to your username > Interpreter > Filter by spark.

Finally review the Spark interpreter configuration settings for R

77752-screen-shot-2018-06-19-at-102856-am.png

HTH

*** If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login and click the "accept" link on the answer.

Contributor

@Felix Albani

I believe there are some configuration issues too.

Here is the list of interpreters in the zeppelin - found from Ambari .

org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.spark.PySparkInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkSqlInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.spark.DepInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.markdown.Markdown,org.apache.zeppelin.angular.AngularInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.shell.ShellInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.jdbc.JDBCInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.phoenix.PhoenixInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.livy.LivySparkInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.livy.LivyPySparkInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.livy.LivySparkRInterpreter,org.apache.zeppelin.livy.LivySparkSQLInterpreter

I dont see any interpreter related to R or sparkR here.

Do we need to add interpreter in zeppelin-site.xml and I see below are the interpreters to be added:

org.apache.zeppelin.rinterpreter.RRepl,org.apache.zeppelin.rinterpreter.KnitR,org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkRInterpreter

Do I need to add them?

I see R is installed properly on the server.

@Sriram I have same values exactly as you listed above. Could you share a screenshot of drop down menu next to your username > Interpreter > Filter by spark? Also could you confirm if regular %spark works?

Contributor

Thanks for response. Will check and will get back to you.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here